Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameter suggestion dropdown or side menu

Parameter suggestion dropdown or side menu

I use parameters a lot.  I would like to have better acces to them.  I don't like the current Fx button, menu as it hides a lot of my text (default is too narrow, I like to use long names that mean something to me so I don't have to guess what it is months later).  I propose:

1)  a side menu of parameters that can be customized to show the desired columns, which can then be dragged into the dimension dialog; and

2) an 'auto-suggest' (like all the search engines use) of your parameters as you type, continuously reducing the available parameters based on what you've typed.

7 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

InventorParameter.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in the process of making this same obviously wonderful suggestion that screams out for implementation. I'm sure the Inventor developers use name completion all the time, and parameters is a great example of why the users of Inventor need the same feature.

I would keep it very light weight with Ctrl-Space popping up a pick list with the choices matching the part of a parameter name already entered, which means if nothing is get entered you get the full list, but with systematic naming, and few letters yields a very short list containing exactly the parameter you need.

A good model is the Java IDE Intellij IDEA.

deehawk
Enthusiast

This would actually make parametric design tolerable to work with more than 10 parameters.
Workaround right now is to print a list of your parameters on paper, but then you'll have to print a new sheet every time you rename or make a new parameter. Or write it by hand......
The entire parameters interface hasn't seen any love since forever, which is kind of a big let down.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have developed the habit of using a linked spreadsheet so I can leave it open on my second monitor and alt+tab over to copy & past my variable.  I used Excel's naming feature so my variables all use the variable names instead of cell references.  I don't particularly like that workflow because of the added steps, but it helps me keep everything straight whenever I have to go back to it after a while, or have to share it with colleagues.  I also wish it worked with any spreadsheet program and wasn't married to MS Excel, exclusively; but I digress.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have developed the habit of using a linked spreadsheet so I can leave it open on my second monitor and alt+tab over to copy & past my variable.

Of course if the Fx dialog was not modal you could have this dialog open on a 2nd monitor and do the same thing without the Excel linking.

If a parameter input field was active then some action in the non-modal parameter dialog could send the parameter name directly into the parameter input field. Not as compact as IntelliSense, but still pretty nice with the sorting and filtering in the Fx dialog.

I also have used Excel with the parameters in a nice sortable Excel table. I then used named parameters in equations in Excel to compute other dependent parameters, and was surprised that a subsequent sort of the table makes the named references between rows use the wrong rows. Very dangerous! There is way around this that can be made fairly compact with an Excel macro, but the ugliness of equations with inter-row dependencies dampened the initial enthusiasm for this approach -- parameters that are functions of other parameters are much better in the Fx dialog.

designMQLM7
Enthusiast

Desperately need the auto complete. Just stated last year  with inventor and I regular use 100’s of user parameters and  I almost expected it to just do it.  please implement this! Unless I am missing something it takes 3 mouse moves and clicks to get to the list from the edit Dimension input box.  1. arrow to the right for drop-down list / 2.then select parameter list from options/ 3.then scroll and search fir the parameter and click 

if you are lucky then it’s in the short recently used list making it 2 clicks but that also wipes out any thing you already have inputted so no good if you are doing an equation in the dimension edit box, which I often do. 

Please 🙏🙏

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report