Symbols of ISO-GPS

Can you add the ISO-GPS symbols of the norme SN EN ISO 1101:2017

david_pousset39SPM_0-1685716556952.png

david_pousset39SPM_1-1685716607337.png

david_pousset39SPM_2-1685716651882.png

The users of inventor NEED THEM.

Thank you.

10 Comments

It's a pitty that this need to be asked by a user as Autodesk pretend to be ahead of its time. Autodesk Inventor laks in innovation capacity. 

david.wartaJA24W
Advocate

Maybe also add, while they are at it, the new surface roughness symbols of ISO 21920-2:2021. Would be nice if they could keep up with newly released ISO standards. 

andrew_faix
Autodesk

I believe we added support for these additional symbols in Inventor 2023. 

andrew_faix_0-1686672632096.png

@david_pousset39SPM , can you confirm whether these controls meet your needs?

Thanks

@andrew_faix  I sincerely thank you for your answer.  It's a good start. We work Inventor 2022 and the standard is entered into force since 2017. In the mean time, I installed Inventor 2024. to see if I missed something else.

By the way, the Auxiliary Feature Indicators don't seems to work on my computer. But this might come from my configuration.

dominiqueheiniZ4W8R_0-1686745811030.png

I think  Autodesk must go furhter and rethink the GD&T ISO  indication process. In my opinion the Autodesk ISO GPS drawing UI is made of bits and pieces. I suggest that you take the geometrical tolerances under one "windows" as shown below (picture taken from an training hand out)

dominiqueheiniZ4W8R_0-1686736668086.png

The user picks the symbols he needs in the tolerance box. He is provided with all necessary symbols under one roof. No need to go to find the a complete ISOGPS Font and to search symobls in the Character Map of windows.

The Annotation Tab should be reorganized and create better differentiation between symbols types ( References, GD&T, Surface Roughness, undefined edge, welding..) Currently, there is a mess in the symbols section which includes a bit of everything.

In the Edit Dimension menu the envelope symbol (E) is not provided by default. This should be the case as it is very commonly used. The Edit Dimension menu should also include all ISO 14405 symbols.

Concerning the reference. I would wish something that allow following reference generation as made to create the partial reference.

dominiqueheiniZ4W8R_1-1686737404506.png

The partial reference, which is very handy, doesn't allow to place dimensions between 2 partial  references. (See ISO-5459)

Concerning the undefined edge the symbolic has to include ISO 21204: 

dominiqueheiniZ4W8R_4-1686743986273.png

Concerning the surface roughness symbolic have also to comply with ISO 21920:

dominiqueheiniZ4W8R_5-1686744054414.png

Concerning the general tolerances the symbolic needs to be adapted to ISO 22081

dominiqueheiniZ4W8R_6-1686744138631.png

Concerning the Tolerance Advisor behind the 3D Model Anotation tool. It goes in direction of MBD, which is good. It should be adapted to ISO-GPS standards. Currently I'm confused when using it as is our local Autodesk dealer.  I miss a thoroughly training on the subject.

The tolerance Analysis tool should include 3D tolerance analysis tool

To go further. I'm not happy about the way Autodesk is dealing with  Autodesk Idea. Autodesk is not pro-active in reaching its customer needs, it wait for the votes of the user to developp a solution. As all user, I do not have time to scroll over all ideas that are suggested by the community. As a customer, my job is not to help Autodesk to develop Inventor, I'm paid to use Autodesk Inventor and I would like Inventor helping me in doing my job. And don't forget that part of your customer base is not using ASME standards but ISO standards.

So, I just spent about 3 hours to summarize the need I see as an Inventor user, and I think I have done Autodesk's job.

I strongly hope that Autodesk will take my comments seriously.

andrew_faix
Autodesk

Thanks for your comments, @dominique.heiniZ4W8R 

Those controls have to be enabled from a setting in your FCF style:

andrew_faix_0-1686751479431.png

That setting is ON for our out-of-the-box ISO FCF style, but if you had migrated a legacy style forward, it might not have been enabled.

With respect to your other ISO standards compliance comments ("I think I have done Autodesk's job" in particular), I assure you that you haven't done anything here that we haven't already done.  Collecting and summarizing requirements is only the first and easiest step in getting the changes implemented.  Further, number of votes is less of a factor that our available development resources.  I appreciate that time between submission and implementation is frustrating.  We do have a lot of standards-compliance gaps generally and ISO in particular.  We've ramped up focus in those areas in the last two years and plan to continue to focus on standards compliance into the forseeable future.

If you'd like to get a better understanding of our roadmap and want to test and comment on implementation details, I recommend joining our Beta community: Welcome to our Feedback Community (autodesk.com)

Your feedback on usability and implementation is much more valuable there than here.

On that Beta community page, you'll see that we're hosting several, virtual Inventor Inside the Factory sessions next week that you might find valuable and informative (20 and 21 June).  

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2023. For more information regarding how you may leverage the feature, please review this page. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the informations. I installed Inventor 2024 and found the symbols. In the first bloc I am suppos to indicate the geometric symbol. For // it is easy. how can i specify perpendicular or symmetric?

david_pousset39SPM_0-1690299333802.png

Thank you very much.

David

andrew_faix
Autodesk

GPS and other symbols are accessed from the Symbol Picker further up in the dialog...

andrew_faix_0-1690302229645.png

Got them.

Thank you very much for the help:)

andrew_faix
Autodesk

Happy to help.  You're most welcome.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report