Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straighten a hose

Straighten a hose

I use routed systems on a daily basis, 80% of the time I use bent tube routes, these are then CNC bent using the YBC data that is easily exported. Hose routes are a different story. it would be great to have a straighten option in the view placement dialogue box, true hose length and the offset of any elbow fittings or porting can be properly documented.

straighten

12 Comments
barry.ashcroft
Contributor

I have same problem when showing cable or a rubber object with 2 states (bent over and straight)

mcgyvr
Consultant

I would LOVE this functionality for Cable/Harnesses too.. 

I've been duplicating a lot of my cables to recreate them in a "straight" state for the drawings and even for use in view reps in the assembly.

stuartmp
Advocate

I don't use tube or Pipe, but this is a great Idea, how can you create a meaningful drawing for tube or hose without a feature like you suggest.

Awesome.

lesmfunk
Collaborator

I would say this is just for visual purposes since Inventor already calculates hose length. BUT, fitting orientation is the issue here. We put our orientation (degrees rotation) in a table and the vendor still gets it wrong!! So now we try to avoid having two bent fitting ends on the same hose.

In your example with the relief port, the orientation is not that critical. Show a hose with two bent ends. Then you have an problem. Great idea!!

Next idea: Fluid Schematics...

paul
Advocate
I think we should be able to flatten a swept profile after selecting the normal to face. Hope autodesk soon hears this.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with jasonm, I work in the similar field and use just as much.

It would be great if there were a "straightening option", after creating a bent tube/pipe using sweep, which will calculate and straighten it to what should be your cut length...auto calculate depending on the input we supply (material, tube/pipe diameter, wall thickness, bend radius and angle which then calculates and takes material stretching into account).

danmachen
Advocate

Would love to see this feature!!! 

It would be so useful in cable and harness and also hose routing. 

To have the 3D representation in a drawing doesn't offer much to the manufacturer.

It means you have to create vastly complicated modelling environment to compute the straight hose and also to work out the angle at which two hose connections should be to one another to take into consideration the 'twisting' of the hose in its installation.

DRoam
Mentor
PACDrafting
Collaborator

This would be an extremely useful function. We have a number of crane companies that would really benefit from this. Currently most of them are quite annoyed this has not been implemented yet.

pcoleman
Enthusiast

125 Votes and counting

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes this function would be very welcome. It is a must.

@Anonymous wrote:

I use routed systems on a daily basis, 80% of the time I use bent tube routes, these are then CNC bent using the YBC data that is easily exported. Hose routes are a different story. it would be great to have a straighten option in the view placement dialogue box, true hose length and the offset of any elbow fittings or porting can be properly documented.

straighten

@Anonymous wrote:

straighten

petri.k
Enthusiast

This should be added to Inventor and fast. I would love to have this function and this feature is lacking. Creo has it, Solidworks has it...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report