Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store PageFrames and TitleBlocks in external library - ISO 5457 compliance

Store PageFrames and TitleBlocks in external library - ISO 5457 compliance

I would like if Inventor could store Page Frames and Title Blocks in an external library as it does for symbols since 2016 release.

With the normal Zone Border command, inventor cannot fulfill requirements of ISO 5457 (attached). Therefore the only workaround at the moment is to design static frames and replace them by page size change. Unfortunately ISO 5457 conform page frames A4 to A0 will make your IDW template about 0,5 MB big, and this will be replicated by each newly generated IDW in your company, without any real need for it.

The full solution of this problem also requires some additional VB development to replace the frame when the page size is changed, but storing company frames in an external library (as it happens for symbols since release 2016) would for sure help most of users keeping their IDWs more clean, better organized and easier to maintain.

And if doing it for PageFrames, why not to do it for TitleBlocks as well?

So if you like the idea, just vote it

SymbolLybrary.PNG

4 Comments
MechMachineMan
Advisor

With reference to the standard, are you talking that you need different versions for the numbers of zones and spacing?

Yes, you would need a static A0, A1, A2, A3, A4 border for each page size according to the standard. You could also purge the unused ones after you are done making a drawing and then just copy over the border from a new template file in case you need a size that you had previously purged.

freesbee
Collaborator
With reference to the standard, are you talking that you need different versions for the numbers of zones and spacing?

First of all thank you for your support 🙂

This is one part of the story: zones must be 50 mm wide, the inner line shall be 0,7 while all the others 0,35 (ok, this might vary across the sizes depending on the thickness group that one chooses...). There are several requirements in this norm, and I really took a hard try with the Zone Boder but... noway to have it done right.

From my side honestly the problem is solved: I handle page size changes with an AddIn command called "Change Sheet Size", which does exactly what you describe picking for frames stored in the Symbol Library file. Last friday, while talking to a guy from the development I realized that this problematic was not known to Autodesk, and since my connection in Heathrow was boring, I imagined that this idea might help those who don't want to mess up with AddIns.

It would probably help also other users involved in other norms (which I honestly don't know that much in detail).

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Many thanks for posting this idea, and tracked as [INVGEN-1109].

guido_overath
Enthusiast

I would suggest to implement the same functionality like in Mechanical...

This is mostly asked by our engineers. Why does Inventor hasn't all the nice commands of Mechanical?

This is a request since decades...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report