Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split, trim, cut the projected lines

Split, trim, cut the projected lines

When projecting lines on 2d sketches in the ipt part environment. We need that projected lines can be deleted, trimmed, split, like the  standard lines.

Can you add this feature please?

21 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ability to Extend or trim Project Edges Without losing link with the base Geometry

DRoam
Mentor

To me this doesn't make very much sense. If you modify the projected geometry, it isn't the projected geometry anymore. The best practice would be to make your projected geometry "construction" and then draw over it with non-construction lines, which you may trim or extend however you wish.

I almost always do this anyway--that is, make projected geometry construction and draw over it/use it to constrain my actual lines which will be used for the extrusion, revolve, etc. This greatly reduces the risk of broken parts due to lost/changed references, and gives you much more flexibility and control if the geometry you projected happens to change.

michael_marx
Advocate

SWX feature and is very time saving!!Smiley Wink

SBix26
Mentor

How do you know if the endpoint of a projected edge is reliable or has been moved?

Sam B

Jim.Swain
Advocate

What I would read this as:

Trim or extend projected geometry would automatically turn the original projected geometry to be construction and overlay new geometry on top the old. The trimmed geometry should end up with its endpoints coincident to the construction geometry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just switched over to Inventor and HSM about a month ago after using Solidworks and Mastercam for a very long time. The ability to trim projected geometry I have used on a daily basis in both programs. To not have this ability in Inventor is going to cost me way too much time to work around. While I understand the perspective that modifying projected geometry no longer represents the geometry projected, I also have to disagree. Trimming and extending I don't view as truly modifying geometry. When I project an edge and trim it, the sketch line segment no longer equals the edge line segment, but the sketch line does equal the edge line. The same is true for arcs. The link is able to be maintained in Solidworks and not having that ability now makes me realize how much I took it for granted in the past.

The ability for me to trim and extend projected sketch geometry is very important and redrawing on top of construction geometry is not a good solution. This idea is from 2016 and I am using 2018 now. Please add this feature to Inventor!!

This is something I would make use of everyday, multiple times per day, without a doubt. I know I am just one guy commenting on a two year old idea, but I am sure others would benefit from this once the capability is there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

From an engineer's perspective, modeling parts and assemblies, drawing over construction geometry may be fine if you don't need to do it too often and must have the most reliable parametric relationships possible in your files. I am in the manufacturing industry and when I project geometry I do it from finalized designs which will not likely change and the geometries usually consist of many more sketch entities than I wish to waste time redrawing. I do this on many parts, many times per day, and thus need to be able to achieve my desired sketch geometry quickly.

If I must beg I will. If begging doesn't help, I will have to use Solidworks and I would prefer to stick with Inventor.

As Autodesk brings on more people from the manufacturing industry, I imagine the demand for this feature will grow. Please add it!

Thank you 😃

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with the original poster. This option should be added.

On complexes geometries, after project the lines, it's not possible to right click and del the constraint then be able to trim.

Creating splines or arcs, over the projected lines is not precise.

Split curves.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lets add a toggle for split line depth of cut. I created a piece of trim by sweeping it around a shape. I want to split this shape anywhere there should be a miter. It not only split the portion that needed the miter but the split projected across to the other side of the trim piece and split it in the obscure location. Unwanted results

Anonymous
Not applicable

*BUMP*

Autodesk, please add the ability to directly edit (eg. trim/extend/delete/etc) projected geometry lines. Having to 'work around' this inability by drawing over the projected lines with the Line tool is messy and a waste of time.

As has been said before by @Anonymous : 'If I have to beg, I will.'

Cheers,

- Cameron

Anonymous
Not applicable

How is this not fixed yet?!

Coming from Creo, this is one of the most time consuming work arounds to deal with... it is just plain stupid from a user perspective. SW has it, Creo has it, why oh why not Inventor?

Ugh, let me get back to work to do more work around work.

Thanks!

Jeff

yoannh
Explorer

OK, let's say I can deal with the inefficiency of turning projected lines into constructions lines and redrawing over them...

But then what am I supposed t do as soon as my projection is not some elementary geometry but some spline for example?

I'm evaluating Fusion for some new project that will require lots of surface design... And this is simply a showstopper (knowing I stumbled upon that problem while attempting to work around another missing feature!)

Hope you can fix that in the future. I'll check it again, there are lots of other things I really like about Fusion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's really stupid that I cannot edit projected lines, especially for curves. How could use expect me to redraw a curve that is exactly the same as the original one???

gordon.fox
Contributor

I agree that this feature is needed. I can't draw over projected lines if they're not circles or lines. I have an angled cylinder, who's cross section is projected onto a plane. The cross section is not a circle or an ellipse because of the angle.

sniiki00
Explorer

+1
It's really quite weird we have all the cool sheet metal features, forms, surfaces etc. but are missing basic stuff like this. Reference geometry all in all feels lacking a lot. Offsetting several circles at once is impossible for example. 

There's a workaround for this by disabling 'Projection Link' when projecting the line but it's not quite ideal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Sir/madam,

Please take a look at this subject:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/split-trim-cut-the-projected-lines/idi-p/8219867

Can you improve Inventor by adding this option? Solid Works has it, but I prefer using Inventor.

Kind regards,

Gerrit Visser

johan.monnier
Contributor

Autodesk,
Do you have any news to share regarding this request?
Although this article has not been commented on for two years, the need to adapt projected lines is still very much in demand by various users.
Best regards,
Johan Monnier

NOEL_GETTINGBYCZTUC
Enthusiast

+1 for splitting, trimming Projected Geometry curves. Having this functionality would be a massive productivity improvement. The reference should obviously stay intact but the resulting sketch curves be trimmable.

I've also noticed that when a sketch has a combination of projected curves and sketched curves that they don't play well together. For instance if wanting to use that sketch for a sweep profile or path it won't combine the projected and sketch curves into a single profile or path. I don't know if that's a common experience?

tstoutYZ3MS
Advocate

5 years later, and we are still waiting on this. Lol. It is hilarious at Autodesk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report