Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solving Unresolved Links

Solving Unresolved Links

It would be nice when resolving links for missing parts if any are skipped the assembly would put the same symbol on the sub assemblies that have missing components in then. It currently puts the symbol on missing parts with a dark gray icon but nothing for assemblies and therefore you have to open them separately to find out which one has a problem.

unresolved.gif

13 Comments
jingyi.liu
Alumni

Thanks for your feedback, the version you're using has the new search capability, have you tried the filter to search unresolved files? Refer to below ideas and the snapshot, it will help you to locate the unresolved components quickly.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/ability-to-list-unresolved-file-references/idi-p/50014...

image.png

bsidesign
Enthusiast

jingyi.liu,

Thanks for the info, I knew the search was there but really haven't had a reason to use it yet and didn't notice the filters.

DRoam
Mentor

Some suggestions to make this feature a little more discoverable:

1. In the tooltip, include a "tip" on how to resolve the file.

Unresolved Files Tooltip.png

2. In the right-click menu, add a button to run the "unresolved files" search filter, and add icons to make these easier to find. 

Unresolved Files Right Click Menu.png

3. Make the icon consistent. Either use the new one or the old one, I don't care, but make them the same. A question mark can mean a million different things; using the same icon makes it easier to realize that the filter button is related to unresolved files.

Unresolved Files Icon.png

DRoam
Mentor

EDIT: This comment was made by mistake, please ignore it.

danilo.veljkovic
Advocate

There should be also an option to DELETE unresolved files instead of looking for them in dialog window. Sometimes, when I copy design using Design Assistant, I have some details (customer parts) that I do not need, so it would be nice if I can just delete them when I open new assembly.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [23111]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@bsidesign @danilo.veljkovic @DRoam , I just want to get the details from you. Can the search function get your idea addressed? If it can be done, what's additional concern from you, not ease of discovery, or any other points? 

Appreciate your idea? 

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@bsidesign , @danilo.veljkovic , @DRoam , any comments or feedback from you?

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@bsidesign @danilo.veljkovic @DRoam , I just want to get the details from you. Can the search function get your idea addressed? If it can be done, what's additional concern from you, not ease of discovery, or any other points? 

Appreciate your idea, and really helpful for us to take the further action here.

DRoam
Mentor

Hi River, sorry for the delay, thanks for seeking out our feedback!

I would say the original suggestion in this idea, combined with the suggestions in my comment on 4/2/18, would still be nice improvements to the unresolved files experience.

The original idea post is basically: When a file is unresolved within a subassembly, show an unresolved icon on the subassembly itself, so you can tell it has unresolved files in it somewhere. Ideally, the icon should also be added to other “containers” that would otherwise hide the unresolved component, such as patterns and browser folders. The advantage to this is you can tell where the unresolved files are immediately, without having to use the filter, which is faster in some assemblies (particularly smaller ones). It also has the advantage that you can see the unresolved files within the full, normal context of the browser tree. Sometimes when you filter down to only see one or two things, it becomes less obvious what those things are. Seeing the unresolved components in their original full context can be helpful.

Aside from that, I do think the suggestions in my comment on 4/2/18 would be helpful for discoverability. I’m unable to run Inventor at the moment to see which, if any, of these have already been implemented, so please let me know if any of them already have been!

Hope that’s helpful, thanks again for seeking our feedback, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@DRoam, really appreciate your feedback! That makes us more clear about the background and requirement here. We are just investigating this requirement, and would like to make the requirement more clear. If there is any update, we will provide the details here.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Thank you to provide the idea to us! There is a valid workflow "search" to get the unresolved components within the assembly directly, and you could quickly get the unresolved components from browser. Please have a try on this workflow, and we are also keeping the window to watch the feedback & comments in this idea for the further actions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report