Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch Closed Profile - Indicator

Sketch Closed Profile - Indicator

Hi Dears,

How many times have you failed trying to extruding when you were convinced that it was a closed profile...but it was not actually closed?

11.jpg

How many times have you edited / revise/ exit >> Fail feature profile recognition ......edited / revise/ exit >> Fail feature profile recognition a sketch trying to solve it?

It could help an automatic internal highlighting of a closed sketch that can warn you of the profile state, open/closed, while you are still inside the sketch.

22.jpg

Thank you!

31 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

How should it deal with sketches that contain multiple possible closed profiles?  Should it just highlight the largest possible one?

Even in the example sketch, there are three - the one indicated in the example, the interior of the slot, and the interior of the circle. 

admaiora
Mentor

Good point.

Just the main island.

It should indicate the health of the closed loops, not what you want extrude,  if the main island highlighted then it is a symptom that all the other loops are perfectly closed

jtylerbc
Mentor

I think that makes sense.  Another possibility would be for it to highlight the boundary instead of the area, possibly with a different color for each closed boundary. 

A great bonus would be if it could highlight where the profile was broken.  This might need to be a view option like "Show all Degrees of Freedom", so it could be turned off to prevent cluttering the screen too much.

esmith53
Advocate

Just as long as it doens't create an automatic surface like it does in Fusion 360, I'm for it.

jletcher
Advisor
"How many times have you failed trying to extruding when you were convinced that it was a closed profile...but it was not actually closed?" Never
admaiora
Mentor

Good for you.

alex.haerens
Collaborator

If you are wise you limit the size of a sketch. In the example given above I would have a base rectangle and 4 distinct features that each have no more than 4 sketch components. Most people want to put everything in as few sketches as possible resulting in parts that can hardly be modified.

DRoam
Mentor

@admaiora also suggested in another Idea that we be able to color in different profiles with different colors to enhance clarity, something like this:

fc.jpg

I think a hybrid of these two Ideas would be great. Basically, profiles are filled in automatically to indicate that they're closed, but each profile fills in a different color to enhance clarity. And we can manually customize the color of each area as desired.

DRoam
Mentor

Also, here's a related Idea suggesting the ability to "segregate" clusters of geometry (currently 15 votes): Sketch layers

These two ideas combined would be really great and make dealing with complex sketches much, much easier.

asiu
Advocate

I like jtylerbc's idea with a special color for closed loops.

I like the hybrid approach too, but what will happen if two profiles intersect? 

Taking this idea a step forward, I would like to be able to have an option to "extrude all" closed profiles in a sketch. At this time in Inventor 2016 R2 you have to select the closed loops areas individually.

ca-d.one
Advisor

In Fusion 360, closed Geometrys are "Highlighted" when they are closed.

It would be great, if Inventor does the same^^360.PNG

Thanks !

machiel.veldkamp
Collaborator

VERY MUCH YES

mk92
Collaborator
Great idea!
timdown73
Collaborator

Yes!!!!!!! Please Autodesk, eliminate the guesswork!

pbeer
Explorer

Amazing!

jtylerbc
Mentor

Good idea, but it is a duplicate.  See older submission of the same idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/sketch-closed-profile-indicator/idi-p/6274511

leblanc2024
Advocate

Great ideal @ca-d.one

I like this a lot!!! Imagine the time savings... (lost in thought) 😉

Regards Ivon

petestrycharske
Advisor

I'm also for jtylerbc's idea of a boundary color marker for closed loops.

petestrycharske
Advisor

I like the idea, but I prefer a suggestion that jtylerbc made in the other thread; using a boundary color marker for closed loops.

b.graaf
Advocate

This would be a very nice feature; I really like this in Fusion!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report