Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show and manage derived parts in the Bill of Materials

Show and manage derived parts in the Bill of Materials

A derived base part does not show in the BOM.

A lot of your customers need to see and manage the derived part in the Bill of Materials.

Can you implement a functionality that shows the derived parts in the BOM? And make it work in the Vault too.

Thank you.

10 Comments
xavier_dumont1
Collaborator

And add a choice to choose if the derived part must be shown in BOM or not (skeleton modeling by example don't want to see the derived part as a bom row).

leowarren34
Mentor

Somewhat makes sense but may cause issues if the derived part is scaled up or down as it no longer the same dimensions, its likely intentional.

DRoam
Mentor

I agree this would be useful in some circumstances, but the BOM's real purpose is to show assembly structure. The iProperty management is just a bonus. And derived parts bases are not part of the assembly structure. In real life, the derived part does not contain the base part, and the base part is not required to assemble the derived part. The base part is just part of the derived part's feature history. The link is a purely digital one.

If you want to manage derived part bases from the BOM, you can add them explicitly to the assembly, set them as reference parts so they don't show up in the Structured or Parts Only lists, and then manage their iProperties from the Model Data view. Would that work for you?

leowarren34
Mentor

@DRoam True, since a derivative isnt representative of the part I can see why yet I still feel it has a niche case especially if that piece has had a simple adjustment like a hole etc, so it should be shown under the derivative.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I made a iLogic where new part has derived part number next to it shown in brackets []. Also, when I run quantities, iLogic checks if new part is derived from other part and then adds total quantities to part from which new part is derived. We use this because we want to use same part throughout the design but parts have different part numbers because they belong to different assemblies.

leowarren34
Mentor

Very nice @Anonymous, makes alot of sense but even a way to have the derived part and for us to add description of what is different would be better.

andrewiv
Advisor

This would be nice for parts that are derived from assemblies.  In an exploded BOM I should be able to show the assembly and its components.

leowarren34
Mentor

Yeah what would be also good is a translucent model of the derived part to show what is changed visually.

C.A.B.
Contributor

I would like this also. We use the same sheet metal cutout and bend it in different ways i.e. left or right. Sometimes we even bend one of these parts in a third way. By using the original base part and deriving the other parts from it, any changes to the original automatically is reflected in the others.

TheBeardedEngineer
Contributor

Why is this still an issue... Absolutely a huge issue since you cant edit assemblies with the same flexibility as a part! Additive manufacturing is a thing, but assemblies wont let you. (But that's a different issue, although linked.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report