Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select origin to use for demoting parts

Select origin to use for demoting parts

When demoting parts into a new sub assembly the origin of the new assemlby is the same as the first one.  It would be nice to have an option to use a different origin like one of the parts that is being demoted.

8 Comments
DRoam
Mentor

Fantastic idea. I've subconsciously groaned every time I've had to fix this but never even thought about if there could be a better way. Great suggestion.

timdown73
Collaborator

Do you think it would be useful to have the demoted parts/assemblies be automatically grounded too?

andrewiv
Advisor

I personally wouldn't want the components grounded.  I always try to have components constrained to the other components that I'm demoting or I will just constrain them after the demotion.  I would like it to ground the component that you select to use for the origin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a great idea if you want that functionality. I would suggest this should be implemented as an option.

jtylerbc
Mentor

I agree with the idea of having it ground the origin-defining component.  It could work something like "Ground and Root Component", which is what I usually use to fix this situation after a demotion.

smokes2998
Collaborator

I guess only user that really know how to use the tool noticed this issue with the demote to sub assembly. The amount times I have had to reground the base part to the origin and check that it is orientated correctly  for drawing view renderings and IPN's is nuts.

Luisfmts
Enthusiast

That would save a lot of time! Smiley Happy
Is it already up and running on newer versions of Inventor?

peter.roman
Advocate

I envisage if you could select a part that would be constrained and grounded to the new sub-assembly origin (ie "ground and root" command).

The auto-grounding is annoying as I always have to un-ground then re-constrain (use "ground and root") to something useful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report