Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename a part or assembly without loosing references.

Rename a part or assembly without loosing references.

Hi Everyone.

I would like to have a command inside inventor to rename parts and assemblies without loosing references and links with drawings, derived parts and assemblies ( Faster and easier than Design Assistent).

There is already an app that do that easly. I think is simple for Autodesk Inventor Team to add similar command to Inventor UI.

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/es/Detail/Index?id=2565803677066677486&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

7 Comments
Andrew2803
Advocate

Optionally you could utilize the "Save and Replace Component" from Assemble tab/Productivity Tile.

Fouad-l
Collaborator

Thank you @Andrew2803.

But later i have to open the drawing of the part and update it (remplacing model reference). Additionally i havr to check manually every assembly that contains the part, also i have to make sure that dereved parts are up to date....

I think is a ponderous process if i have to do that for each part from 500 plus parts.

Andrew2803
Advocate

Do you use Vault? Its Rename tool has an "Update" tickbox which is exactly for this purpose, far as I know.

All you need to do thereafter to get the new one from Vault, and scrap the old one from your local folder.

Vault has power, but many companies ignore it... (experience)

Andrew2803
Advocate
Fouad-l
Collaborator

I know the Vault power you are speaking about.

unfurtunately Vault working flow doesn't match with our company policy at the moment.

KJMaas
Contributor
@Fouad-l We have the same problem at my company. I can't seem to find the right words to convince them that Vault is necessary.
karthur1
Mentor

It would be nice to have what you are saying, but honestly, I dont ever see that happening because of the way fiels are "linked" to the idw or aim. Like other have mentioned above, right now the "best" solution would be to use Vault. An alternative is to use Design Assistant.

I tested the app you mentioned (Rename) when it first came out.  The app will rename the file as it says.  The problem with it, is that if the part is used in other assemblies, then when you open the other assembly, you will have to resolve the link. Just like when you rename the files using Windows explorer.  I did not test if the idw views would still work after the rename, but I would suspect not.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report