Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purge Orphaned (unused) Files

Purge Orphaned (unused) Files

Hi, I'd like to see a built-in function for Inventor to find all orphaned (unused and non-referenced) part and assembly files in a project folder and delete them. When done with a larger project you can be left with a lot (sometimes hundreds) of unused files in the folder structure. These both take up disk space and make the file system more difficult to navigate.

Currently the only way to remove orphaned files is to  use the iLogic Design Copy tool to make a "cleaned-up" copy of the project.

I am using Inventor with single-user projects. I have been told that Vault has something like this function, but cannot verify.

4 Comments
HideoYamada
Advisor

Hello,

It will be better that Autodesk provides this function, but I could not wait.

I have made the tool for deleting all of unrelated files.

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/ja/Detail/Index?id=2194807519553343194&appLang=en&os=Win64

Please use this if you like untill Autodesk supports this function officially.

=====

Freeradical

Hideo Yamada

gcoombridge
Advisor

The main culprits are frame generator and tube and pipe. Cleaning these files alone would be useful

jdrann
Enthusiast

A simple technique is to check out all parts then check them back in.

Sort vault by check in date and remove anything that doesn't have the current date and time.

el_jefe_de_steak
Collaborator

@jdrann 

This idea is great, but only works if you utilize vault. Most of the users wanting this idea do not utilize vault as it is cumbersome for single users or for very small companies with only a few users.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report