Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open files shortcuts

Open files shortcuts

It would be nice if it was possible to add shortcuts to folders in the "Open file" window...

8 Comments
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi @matz.andersson 

Although this could use some improvment, you can do this currently. If you edit your Project file (*.ipj) you can add shortcuts using the "Frequently Used Subfolders" node.

Refine your Project | Inventor | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Curtis_W_0-1621862687110.png

matz.andersson
Explorer

Hi  @Curtis_Waguespack 

Ty u for nice info, but working in a big company and with a lot of different ongoing projects, that would be a rather big issue to take care of.

In Autocad for ex., u can easily right-click and add a shortcut.

Hmmm... don't Autocad and Inventor come from the same developer and supplier...? 🙂

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi @matz.andersson 

AutoCAD and Inventor were created and are maintained by completely different development teams within the same company....

But I agree with you that the way AutoCAD does this is preferred... the big difference is that in AutoCAD you and I can be working on the same project, and you can add shortcuts specific to your work, and I can add different shortcuts....

With Inventor we can not have different user specified shortcuts and use the same project file.... as I mentioned this could use improvement in Inventor, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the Frequently Used Subfolders option in case it was of use.

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager

If you don't have project edit access then you can also add shortcuts from the MyHome panel (top right corner). They will start the File Open command but they are NOT project specific, (which may cause some confusion).

Hope this helps,
Chris

andrewdroth
Advisor

@ChrisMitchell01 Can you elaborate on how to add Shortcuts?

I see the option here, but I don't see that on my 'my home' page.
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2022/ENU/Inve...

I also think this should be something you can customize on a per user basis.

If you have a team working under a single project file it doesn't make sense to have those shortcuts defined in that project file.

The user should be able to specify which paths they need to access frequently, and those will change often as projects come and go. 

Open Dialog Idea.png

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager

Hi Andrew,

The Home Shortcuts, as documented there in the 2022 Help, were removed as part of the 2023 Home refresh, so that may explain why you're not seeing them anymore. What Inventor version are you using now ? 

Thanks

Chris

andrewdroth
Advisor

OK, that explains it then.

I'll add my vote to the idea then.

BDCollett
Advisor

Adding to this again.

Using the Project file to map these shortcuts is not practical with Vault and multiple users that need to keep checking the project out to add the frequently used folders.

The Vault Shortcuts are great and work how you might expect. Per user, simple to add or delete as you go. Yes Vault users should be using this to navigate their files.

However,

This should be the same functionality used inside Inventor. Let people right click in the Open box and have a area that is just user based links to folders/files as a shortcut.. The same as Windows Explorer. 

Such a basic change to make working with the software easier!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report