Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

more tools for sketching circle

more tools for sketching circle

is it just me or Inventor doesn't seem to have tan-tan-radius, through 2 or 3 points options for drawing a circle?

I worked with AutoCAD before and find that it has many more drawing options for other shapes (e.g Arc) than Inventor, so why not including all those sketching options for circle in Inventor?

3 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

While having such specific drawing tools would save a few clicks here and there, I suspect that it isn't seen as a priority because every possible way of defining a circle can already be done in Inventor by drawing it in an arbitrary location and adding the desired constraints. 

AutoCAD needs those more specific tools because you typically don't have the geometric constraints to help you get the desired shape.  In Inventor, they would just be minor click-savers, and don't actually open up any functionality that you can't already do without them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What @jtylerbc said with a minor note: If the feature efficiency would be high, I would implement it.

Feature efficiency: feature gain (impact, usefulness) / feature cost (programming, maintenance, QA, docs etc.)

darren22SFR
Participant

Spot on, 5 years later Circle or ellipse by 3 points still does not exist. Such a basic but important tool. It's like using Paint to do sketches.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report