Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor lacks IMPORTANT 2D Sketch Capabilities - Object Snap

Inventor lacks IMPORTANT 2D Sketch Capabilities - Object Snap

Introduction:

I just submitted Multiple Ideas that are all related to 2D Sketching. I find a big lack of capability within Inventor's 2D commands. It has driven me crazy since I started using Inventor frequently. It was the first software I ever learned, but then I went into the HVAC Engineering industry and I now regularly use Revit and AutoCAD. This is where most of my knowledge comes from with regard to CAD. I am working on projects within Inventor to design new Invention Ideas. I have fully designed a QuadCopter Airplane, a complex Toolbox, and now I am designing a new cold brew coffee maker.

See below for my idea submissions:

B. More Issues with Object Snap:

1. I'm in a "Create Line" command, and I am trying to snap to certain point. Sometimes I will be hovering my cursor over my desired snap point, and my line's endpoint will turn green but the new line wont snap to the desired point until I *click*. It's misleading and confusing. The line shouldn't move after I click. It should stay where it was before I clicked, no matter what.

2. Object snap tracking does not register any Bias when you hover over a certain snap location, it just straight up snaps randomly to an assortment of points. What do I mean? I'll break it down. In Autocad, If you want to draw a line that is offset 10mm directly below a certain Point, You hover over the point until its color changes, indicating that it is tracking. Then, you drag your mouse down, and it constrains you to orthographic travel relative to the tracked point. Then you can start your new line when you hit the 10mm mark.  Again, Inventor forces me to draw an unnecessary line to get my new line where I want it. 

Summary:

Look, I love Inventor. It holds a special role in what I do. Its extremely intuitive, easy to learn, and for the most part, you can get anything you want done eventually.

It is really smart sometimes. But the fact is, when you are in 2D sketch mode, it really lacks ability. And this is the most frequently used mode within Inventor. Everything stems from a 2D sketch. Inventor is bottlenecked by the fact that it just isnt as good at 2D sketches as AutoCAD. Even Revit has picked up on some of these things (Mirror suggestion), while Inventor hasn't. The worst part is, Inventor is slower to work in that AutoCAD is. That means that for me to draw a line with the intention of later deleting it, it's going to take me that much longer because of that wasted line. Please just take some 2D CAD notes from AutoCAD and hide the features somewhere within Inventor, for the majority of us who use and know AutoCAD. 

1 Comment
PaulMunford
Autodesk
1. All entities in Inventor are free to move wherever they like, untill YOU fully constrain them.

2. In Inventor it is done differently. This is because you aren't creating a drawing, you are creating a parametric sketch which describes the profile which you'd like to turn into a feature.

You can certainly track from a point to start drawing the next line, but, after the second line is complete, you will need to create a parallel constraints and add a dimension constraint to maintain the 10mm spacing.

Does this make sense?

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report