Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

improvements to bolted connection - multiple end faces/chamfered holes/NASTRAN

improvements to bolted connection - multiple end faces/chamfered holes/NASTRAN

Dear Inventor Users and Autodesk Programmers.

I would like to suggest to improve a bolted connections in several ways:

1) Firstly, I would like to connect the shaft end cover with two different parts of a reducer like in this photo:

(please note I moved the cover to the outside so you can see more clearly)

bolted connection 1.jpg

As you know I can select only one face (in this example on top of reducer) and therefore after I add connectors the generator will create:

6 connections (screw, washer)

6 holes in shaft end cover

and only 3 threaded holes in top cover. In this case I would have to do this twice for bottom and top, and when I would like to change the bolt size etc. I would have to edit two features instead of one.

Selecting multiple faces would allow me to use the same bolts/washer/nut combination but combined with different lengths between front and end faces. Like in this example:

I need to create 8 holes in total (4 are on the other side) (plus bolts/washers/nuts of course)

bolted connection 2.jpg

But the problem is that the extrusion parts marked with green rectangles are a bit longer than these marked with orange ones. It can be seen here:

bolted connection 3.jpg

and it will result with something like this:

bolted connection 4.jpg

a free space between washer and extruded feature.

2) Another problem that I encountered is when I want to create bolted connection with a chamfered hole (by hole). Like in this example, when I want to connect reducer's bottom with a steel frame:

bolted connection 5.jpg

If this hole is created as hole with chamfer:

bolted connection 6.jpg

the bolted connection generator will only see thecountersunk bolts!

bolted connection 7.jpg

While this can be ommitted (creating a chamfer afterwards or aplying an earlier created bolted connection template) it would be able to see a button: show all bolts or something like that.

3) If I use the blind connection type and select by Hole and choose an already created endhole (the one with a thread) it will always make a new one in the same place!

bolted connection 8.jpg

The last hole was already made and design accelerator wants to make it again!

4) And last improvement includes cooperation with NASTRAN in-CAD - it would be awesome when connections made with bolted connection design accelerator were automaticaly detected by NASTRAN in-CAD (or a special button: auto-detect bolt connectors (like with contacts).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report