Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improved Section View Tool

Improved Section View Tool

The Section View tool in Assemblies/Parts leaves a lot to be desired. It's a tedious process to create a Section view, and they're not very functional. We can't select curved faces for a section cut. If you want a cut plane at an angle, you first have to create a Work Plane for it. We can't create a section view with two sides of the model removed. While creating a quarter/three-quarter section view, we can't back up to a specific selection and re-do it, but instead have to restart the command from scratch. After creating a section view, we can't go back and edit it, but instead have to re-create it from scratch. We can't temporarily disable a section view and turn it right back on, but instead have to disable it and then re-create it from scratch to turn it back on again. We can't copy a Section view from one View Rep to another. And finally, section views do not update if the geometry used to create them moves.

The section tool would be much better if it worked something like this:

Improved Section View Command.png

Please vote if you agree the Section tool needs to be improved!

11 Comments
swalton
Mentor

If I go to the trouble to set up a complex section like this in my model (part or assembly), I'd sure like to show it in my drawing without having to re-create a complex sketch on a parent view....

Please add the ability to create sections in the 3d model and display them on a 2nd print.

DRoam
Mentor

@swalton, that's a great idea. We could just have a checkbox option on Base views to inherit the Section cuts from the model or not.

asiu
Advocate

@DRoam

You have my support.

@swalton

Agree, besides I would like Autodesk to include to this the related improvements suggested, like measuring in a section view.

See my suggestion:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/measure-in-section-view/idi-p/5546905

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DRoam Awesome idea! you got my kudos! 

Measuring and having the section as Base views would be great. 

sergio.missori
Advocate

Great Idea.

Actually what we are missing is the possibility to create cross section snapping special points (e.g. middle point, center point). You need to put a plane before.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very good Idea, thanks.

Wanted to create one for these improvments : 

- Default is "Half Section View".

- When you're in a section View, default is "End Section View".

BR

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

You can improve your experience with this tool easily following these easy steps : 

https://autode.sk/2GStyhh

2018-04-11_11-05-26.png

BR

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also a Flip Command after setting the Half Section is very useful.

Half Section View -> Flip Current Section, instead of having to create a new one from scratch.

krupickaRZCS6
Advocate

VERY IMPORTANT!!

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

@DRoam @krupickaRZCS6 @Anonymous @sergio.missori @Anonymous could you please try the model section view in Inventor 2024? It supports to set the offset distance & angle for model section view creation, and also stored in design view for editing workflow. Thanks!

krupickaRZCS6
Advocate

time period from 3:10 to 3:15 and also from 4:43 to 4:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkemMJlnp_4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report