Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve creation of Direct Edit features and make each operation its own feature

Improve creation of Direct Edit features and make each operation its own feature

Direct Edit.png

One of my biggest aversions to using Direct Edit is that it makes it almost impossible to follow the design intent/history in the Browser.

I also hate how clunky creating and editing Direct Edit operations is.

So three changes are needed:

1. Improve the creation of Direct Edit operations.
  2. Make each Direct Edit operation its own feature in the Browser tree.
  3. Show Extended Information for each Direct Edit feature like we have for other features.

When I say “Improve the creation of Direct Edit operations”, here’s what I mean: When I start the command, it opens a NORMAL dialog box (not the awkward, un-intuitive, click-happy “pillbox” interface). Then I choose which type of operation this Direct Edit feature will be (move, size, scale, rotate, or delete). Then I give my inputs. Then I say “Ok” or “Apply”, and I’m done. A feature for that operation is created. If I clicked “Ok”, the command is finished. If I clicked “Apply”, I can add more features if I wish.

And if I want to edit an existing feature, I just right-click and click “Edit”, make my changes, then click “Ok” and I’m done.

That’s what I want, as opposed to this (how it currently works): If I need to go back and edit a Direct Edit operation, I hover randomly over Direct Edit features until the graphics preview looks like I’m on the right one. Then I right-click and click “Edit Feature” (in the context menu, not the radial menu), then find the right operation, then right-click and click “Edit Operation” (from the radial menu, not the context menu… consistency, please? No?), then make my change (with the awkward, click-happy bubble interface), then click “Apply” (which is a Plus button… even though I’m not adding anything, I’m applying, so a checkmark would make more sense), and then click Ok…. No wait, that’s not an option, I have to click “Cancel”…??? Why?

Fix it, please. Just make it work like every other Inventor part Feature command does. And make each operation its own feature in the Browser Tree, with extended information, so I can easily follow my design intent and history in the Browser.

3 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inventor should add presspull command! Like Autocad and Plant 3d. Direct is quite difficult to use!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Many thanks for posting the idea, and tracked as [INVGEN-25917]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report