Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

idw Overlay lines... move Overlay layer behind Visible layer

idw Overlay lines... move Overlay layer behind Visible layer

When I create an overlay in an idw, the overlay view lines (the Overlay layer) is always on top of the Visible lines layer.... Which to me is backwards.  It sometimes makes the drawing hard to look at and difficult to read.  I usually go an extra step and make a view rep to turn off the unwanted items.  That is just something else that has to be maintained as the assembly is being developed/changed and could be avoided if the draw order was changed.

It would be better if the overlay layer was moved to be behind the overlay layer.  Currently there is no way to change the draw order of the lines.

2016-07-08_0804.png

2016-07-08_0807.png

4 Comments
ic198
Advocate

It would be better still if Inventor just didn't draw the duplicated lines- it would make the file smaller and cleaner when exported to AutoCAD

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

"move Overlay layer behind Visible layer"  

Wouldn't this then be an Underlay? Smiley Wink

I voted for this, as I think the extra control would be nice, but....

...You can create a View Representation of only the parts you want to see, and use the View Rep in the Overlay View, and it might cut down much of the extra lines.

karthur1
Mentor

Thanks, for the vote.  I usually create a view rep like you are saying in order to cut down on all the clutter.  If the draw order was reversed, then the view rep would not even be necessary.

karthur1
Mentor

Here is yet another example of where the draw order would be handy to have.  I run into this every time that I place a overlay view on my idw's.... which is pretty often.  In order to control the clutter, I have to create a view rep with everything turned off that I don't want to show. 

Would be very simple if we had more control over the draw order of the layers.

This is using 2018.3

2018-06-12_0722_001.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report