Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

full use of multicore processor

full use of multicore processor

full use of multicore processor......

86 Comments
brotherkennyh
Advocate

Sorry, but I think you have your software's confused. Inventor is not an extension of AutoCAD, nor was it ever. They did name it AutoCAD Inventor for a while, but that was just a stupid marketing mistake. Of course, AutoCAD does have 3D extensions, which I agree is not particularly well implemented, but it is still separate software. They just happen to be owned by the same company.

I fully agree with the feeling behind this thread and on improving the performance, but I am starting to feel this thread is pointless. Ultimately, it is hard for the users to say if the software is just inefficient or just bloated. I also think this should be one of the Inventor teams strategic targets, it does not need to be an Idea station thread.

If they wish to remain competitive they need to improve the performance. The 2018 release was a good step in the right direction. I just hope Autodesk continue to prioritise performance and not consider the job is done. I don't feel lots of new features are needed every year. I need my core tools to be fast not fancy newer tools.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree 100%!!! I started this thread because I'm in need of some major upgrades to Inventor, not just more junk to slow it down. I'm needing a major over hauling of the Cable and Harness portion for sure. I can't afford to set and wait 3 hours just to get into the harness just to find out that its then corrupted and have to start all over again anyway. The new so called improvements made to the Cable and Harness portion to work with AutoCAD Electrical was great but left much to be desired. It seemed more like the project was started and then quickly fell apart. They want to know why no one is using it, it's because it's too complicated for normal people to use. I'm looking for something that will help make the process faster and prevent errors not harder and create more errors. This is quickly showing to be AutoCAD's new calling card.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to Solidworks...another PLANET!

That's the solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What!? Solidworks such a crap when it comes to heavy assemblies. It is a fancy design software for domestic needs, it is good for modeling pans and scissors, and completely useless in structural or marine engineering. And I am not talking about engineering support basis, which SW simply does not has enough- toolbox with lack of standard items, no welds/spring/shaft/spur gear/bearing/key nor chain calculation. I used to work with SW for 5 years, and with all respect to solidworks - this is not a solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry??? Ahahhahaa, compared to SW, Inventor is 10 year back.

Inventor in assembly with 1000parts is really slow.

SW is 5 time faster.

Inv is good to model simple parts, SW complete machine. I think you are confused 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I talked about 20k parts assemblies, and I have my own opinion based on my own experience, but sure, you with your 1k assemblies are more mature user and you know better how software works 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

20 parts??? Ahahahah ok, all clear.

Actually I'm working on an assembly with....wait...13000 parts...SW work well with it. Inventor need about 7 minutes (!!) only to open it and than only rotating it is really funny.

SW for modeling scissor...ahahah ok ok , bye bye

janelson33
Advocate

So basically we want SolidWorks reliability, with improved large assembly functionality, perhaps, and the current tool box that Inventor already has it seems?

We can't just straight up ask them to make us Creo or NX yet, baby steps.

trishark78
Contributor

This needs to change NOW.  No one is using less than 4C/4T and most I imagine are using at least 6C/12T.  It is totally crazy that I had to wait almost 5 min for an edited constraint to update while working on assembly yesterday.  It isn't a small file with 267 occurrences, 67 open documents and about 400 constants, but it certainly is Large.  Additionally, I had all content center suppressed. I'm running an E5-1650 v2 @3.5GHz, with 16Gb Ram and 2 SSD's with the files on the local machine.  I know it's a few years old, but it's clean, well tuned and fully updated running Inventor 2018.  

I realize that this is not an easy task however, we all have to go through a yearly routine of uninstalling, reinstalling, migrating and updating (or a total format and reinstall of windows prior to updating in order to rid your system of all the data that the uninstaller misses...but I digress) in order to stay current, and recently the changes seem to be items that could come and a service pack rather than a clean install.  I'd much rather see total rebuilds done less frequently and more meaningfully...

janelson33
Advocate

@trishark78 I've found out that you're supposed to use the Autodesk Software Removal Tool. See my post here about some crap hanging about from the 2016 Suite and how I fixed it, vs how they say it should've been removed.

That doesn't change the fact about how stupid it is at all, LOL!!

This software has to be so patched...

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been at the top of the board for a long time. The votes it’s received and the conversations we’ve had with many of you make it clear performance is a continuing top priority. Given that, a few years ago we made the decision to continually invest in performance – not just putting everything into “multicore” but looking at all that could be done to speed up real work.

Moving to multiple threads is great for some things, especially compute intensive tasks. But for others there are more meaningful improvements that can be made only by using different strategies. So we’ve taken a more holistic approach and used many techniques to boost performance, some multicore-related and some not. We also worked with many of you to prioritize the biggest needs and sharpen the focus in the most important areas. Outcomes so far include:

• Multicore drawing creation, computing precise views, and computing multiple views with “enable background update” option on - Drawing creation enhanced in Autodesk Inventor 2019
  • Multicore zoom, pan, rotate
  • Multicore ray tracing
  • Multicore mesh generation
  • Multicore import of non-Inventor CAD files
  • Multicore for most geometry modeling commands and freeform modeling
  • Multicore mass properties calculation
  • Multicore feature recognition & removal for simplification workflows
  • Parallelization of tasks using Task Scheduler
  • Incremental rendering for 2D and 3D graphics navigation - NEW in Autodesk Inventor 2019
  • Incremental drawing view updates - NEW in Autodesk Inventor 2019 

Models will continue to get more complex and everyone will be pushing the software harder. We are marking this Idea as “implemented” because we now have a dedicated team working on performance that’s not only delivered the above, but will continue to work on performance (using multicore and other techniques) as the product evolves. As we go forward, you can keep up with the performance development team on the internal feedback community. You can also see an up-to-date list of multicore support here.

gusi_cl
Advocate
Thank you Dan, my dream became reality!
DRoam
Mentor

That's great news and great information, thanks for the update, Dan!

Also glad we can see a list of current multicore functionality and what the development team is working on. Can you post a link that will take us directly to this information in the internal feedback community? (Those not in the Beta program would need to sign up before the link will work of course).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for sharing these good news with us Dan. 😄
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great!

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Can the inventor 2019 work with multiple graphics cards?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Inventor 2018 and in raytrace-modus all CPU´s are running at 100%. BUT - the graphic card runs at 17-25%.....

How is it in the 2019er Inventor ?!?!

Wouldn´t it be nice to use the power of a Quadro M4000 to help the CPU´s ? 😉

brotherkennyh
Advocate

I suppose if 2019 really is better performance then you will see your graphics card work harder.

Inventor in general is CPU limited, so the graphics card could be much more modest without seeing a noticeable performance decrease. The CPU just cant get information to the GPU fast enough to tax it.

If the program is more efficient then it will be able to perform the same operation in less time/CPU cycles etc.. That would allow it to move to the next frame more quickly and increase the load on the GPU.

I don't know the technical reason why Inventor uses the CPU to ray trace and not the GPU, although I have noticed the same in other programs.

It is nice to hear performance is being taken seriously. I have to say I did notice the difference between 2017 & 2018. Performance is a big deal as it benefits all the core features.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

@DRoam,

Per your request...

"Can you post a link that will take us directly to this information in the internal feedback community? (Those not in the Beta program would need to sign up before the link will work of course)."

Here you go:  [Alpha/Beta] Inventor > User Forums > Performance

Regards,

Dan

Anonymous
Not applicable

These are in General really good News.

But in my opinion Autodesk should invest much more time in "Performance".

Many of the other "improvements" are more "nice to have" then something else.

But if you improve the general speed of a software, you help EVERY user.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report