Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit a Component in Place or in Open Window

Edit a Component in Place or in Open Window

Suggestion for Autodesk...

With both an assembly file and a part file open in separate tabs I would like to create a sketch on the part from the assembly file. When I click down part from the assembly, Inventor switches me over to the part file and I can't project the geometry from the assembly that I want to. I need to close the part file in order to work on the part sketch from the assembly.

Autodesk tells me that this currently is the correct behavior. We have discussed having the following added under Application Options but they need more people to speak up to make it happen. Who's with me?

Application Option

1) Edit component in place

2) Edit component in open window

3) Ask me to define behavior during edit

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/creating-a-part-sketch-from-an-assembly/m-p/6782289#M6...

2 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like you create a lot of adaptive parts so you might want to consider a different workflow.

However I think there is a good idea here and there could be a couple of options

- a right mouse button to edit in place could close the open part window

- a double left click could give you a dialog box choice of editing in place or transferring focus to the part window

k_onghena
Contributor

It should be possible to edit in place even if the part is open in different window. In Solidworks this is been the case as long as I know... 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report