Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Dimension Revision TAG

Drawing Dimension Revision TAG

Another idea which came up delivering training this week.

A customer asked if there was a way to simply add a Revision TAG to a Dimension on a drawing, therefore allowing the TAG to move with the Dimension and subsequently the View.

Obviously you can currently place a Revision TAG near a dimension:

Dimension Rev Tag.PNG

However, if you then move the Dimension or View the Revision TAG is left where you originally placed it:

Dimension Rev Tag 2.PNG

A lot of the times a Revision might apply to a Dimensional change on a drawing, so it would be useful to have a Revision TAG option for these to not only quickly show, but attach permanently. 

Personally, I was thinking of something along the lines of a Dimension option like displaying Tolerances, a right click option etc. Or alternatively an Attach option, like the Detail View, which gives you an option to attach to a point on the Drawing View.

7 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

You can create a makeshift version of this by using a leader on the tag, and attaching it to the dimension.  Since you can't make the leader invisible (like with a Sketch Symbol), I created a new Leader Style that goes to a white layer, and set the Revision Tag Style to use that Leader Style.

This makes something similar to what you want, without using any methods that don't currently exist.  The biggest catch is that you have to watch out for the white line crossing other objects, since it will break them up with a thin line of white (which looks rather like a printer glitch).

MTimmis_ADSK
Advocate

Hi @jtylerbc, thanks for the feedback, I will give this a try as a workaround.

It would still be nice to see this as a simple option for users to enable directly on a dimension or by having a way to attach conveniently.

mcgyvr
Consultant

@MTimmis_ADSK You can attach the leader line from the rev tag to the green grip point of the dimensions extension line and then the tag follows as that dimension is moved..
Not sure if you were aware of that..  I do agree though that something as simple as a "multi-select and group" command would be great for quite a bit of things in the drawing environment..

attached.PNG 

MTimmis_ADSK
Advocate

Hi @mcgyvr thanks for the feedback, yes I was aware of being able to attach the leader to a dimension. However the trainee wanted to have a Revision TAG, with no Leader, next to the Dimension. There are a few workarounds for this, however I can't help think that it should be a lot easier, as Dimension changes are probably a popular Revision to a model and therefore drawing.

jtylerbc
Mentor

Personally, I think the simplest solution would be to let users turn off the visibility of the leader, like is already possible for Sketch Symbols.  The entire purpose of the workaround I posted was to fake the effects of that functionality.

swalton
Mentor

If I remember correctly, this request would restore functionality that Autodesk removed several years ago.  I think around Inventor 2009/2010. 

It used to be possible to attach the rev symbol to the dimension's hot point.  As I recall, the rev symbol had an offset insert point that kept the dimension text and the symbol from overwriting each other.  When Autodesk made the change, the insert point moved to the center of the rev symbol. The symbol would move from next to the dimension text to on-top-of the dimension text when the drawing was migrated from the working release to the broken one.  Moving the rev symbol off the dimension text made the leader.

This is the first time I have seen a post requesting changing back to the old functionality.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This idea is focusing mainly on tying the rev symbol to a dimension. 

I'd also like to see the symbol with the ability to be tied to a balloon. (change in material, change in components, etc) 

The work around is okay, but why, with all of the advancements of this software, do I have to jump through the work around hoops to not have to chase down rev symbols on the page when something moves???  

Seems we should be able to attach rev symbols, with or without a leader.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report