Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash log

Crash log

Occasionally Inventor crashes and I am prompted to submit a log report. Several days or a week later a developer contacts me asking for the files in the state that they were in when the crash occurred. The files have been changed or replaced by then.

Update the crash report dialog to either

1) Allow files to be attached

2) Copy open files to an archive log against the crash report number.

This would allow developers to see the files in the state that they were in at the time of the crash.

5 Comments
swalton
Mentor

I like this idea.  

To expand a bit:

I see crashes with larger assemblies.  I'd want some sort of control in the crash reporting dialog so that I can control when the archive set is created or submitted.  I'd hate to fill my hard drive with years of large assembly crash data.

I'd also like a copy of the NDA policy that Autodesk uses for customer submitted data, so that my company will agree to share its data.  Ideally, the NDA policy would be included in the archive set by default.  That way it is very clear to both sides what the data sharing rules are in effect with each submission.  

amorseKWTMJ
Explorer

Absolutely a great idea! Inventor crashes so often at my company and there are so many jobs going at once I cannot keep up with what I was working on when the crash report was generated. An even better idea would be to fix the software so it doesn't crash.

WillL84
Collaborator

Agree with this 100%. Same thing - crash happens, I report it. A week or so goes by and they ask for log files and most of the time I can't remember what I was working on when the crash happened.

SEC_CAD
Collaborator

I just received 4 emails from the Autodesk Inventor CER Team. All had this cut & paste paragraph:

"Would it be possible to get a copy of the files you see the problem on and the steps needed to cause the problem? From the crash report it"s difficult to tell exactly what went wrong and having a reproducible way to produce the crash would be very helpful to us for improving the quality of the product. Any additional information you could provide on this would be greatly appreciated."

All of these crashes were 5-6 months ago.

I don't really understand the value of such a communication so long after the event.

WillL84
Collaborator

I got like 10 between yesterday and this morning, each with a different date. Seems like they're playing catch up with crash reports. Problem is I don't remember what I was working on two to 7 months ago lol 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report