Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common used folders

Common used folders

Similar to "Workgroup Search Paths" in Project, we should have Common Used Folders option available, where we can place folders that we use often. We can add Vendors' folders there or any other folder that is often used. It does not have to be searchable, just to be as a shortcut for the often used folders so they show up on "Open" window. I would have used "Libraries" but if placed there, components cannot be altered.

9 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

How would this be different from the existing "Frequently Used Subfolders"?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would, since these folders are not SUB-folders. They can be anywhere.

jtylerbc
Mentor

Ah, I see.  In that case, I would have thought you could get what you want with Workgroup Search Paths.  It sounds like you've tried using them already - what was the problem you had with them?

Anonymous
Not applicable

They are still buried inside other folders.

Picture.png

They should be like this:

Picture1.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Annoying thing is that when you click on + sign next to C_COMMON_INVENTOR focus goes to Autodesk A360 and Sign in window pops-up. To avoid this from happening, I click on C_COMMON_INVENTOR and then on + sign. This is time consuming and it beats the purpose of having items on left side of Open window.

jtylerbc
Mentor

I don't really use Workgroup Search Paths much, but still manage to misclick on A360 on a pretty regular basis.  It is indeed very annoying.

If I'm understanding the issue with Workgroup Search Paths correctly, you want a direct link to the folder (like Frequently Used Subfolders or Libraries have), but it may not be in your project workspace (ruling out the first) and you need edit capabilities (ruling out the second).

You could add the supplier folders as Workgroup Search Paths individually, without adding the "C_COMMON_INVENTOR" and "PURCHASED COMPONENTS" folders.  Then it would look pretty much like your example of what you want.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our company is machine design/build for automotive industry. We use a lot of purchased components, like Misumi or McMaster, etc., which we place in 0_COMMON_INVENTOR folder and then in vendors' named sub-folders. These folders are located on Z drive so all designers can have access to them. This is the reason why we have 0_COMMON_INVENTOR placed under "Workgroup Search Paths".

jtylerbc
Mentor

So are there also other files they need access to in the Purchased Components folder that are not in the list of subfolders you have set as search paths (8020, McMaster, Misumi, SMC)?  If everything is in those four vendor subfolders, then what I'm describing would give your users exactly the same amount of access, just without the buried folder structure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use DOWNLOAD folder where I place all imported files (STEP, IGS, etc.) before I save them in vendors folder or customer parts folder. Unless this folder is in Workgroup Search Paths I cannot place it in Frequently Used Subfolders. But I do not want it to be searchable also. Same goes for TEMP folder which I use to test macros. Both of these folders are on my C drive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report