Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine 'save as' and 'save copy as'

Combine 'save as' and 'save copy as'

I understand that save as and save copy as do two different things.

One saves the document as a IDW or DWG with a new name and the other essentially exports it as one of many extensions.

But is this really necessary? I actually find this quite annoying when I want to save as DXF because I press the shortvcut for save as and then I have to quit it and go to save copy as.

'Save as' and 'save copy as' are essentially the same function, you are saving it as a new document so I don't really see the need to have two commands for this. If 'save as' defaulted to dwg/idw but you then had the drop down menu to choose dxf etc, it would be much more productive.

saveas.png

7 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you can write a macro which contains this:

Call invDoc.SaveAs(FullFileName, True)

Then assign a shortcut key to execute this. I'm using macro to create other file format and found it very easy and convenient to use.

Regards,

jletcher
Advisor

I like it the way it is. If you knew how it works then you may like it as well.

Yes it does what you say but you mess the best part of the function.

Save as for example will allow you to stay in the open window of the new saved part closing the original part . Where save copy as closes the new file leaving the original open.

Leave it as it is thank you........

SharkDesign
Mentor

I understand exactly how it works, I explained it above. I just don't see the need for it to be two commands.

If I do a saveas and was able to choose DXF I'd know that I was really saving a copy, as DXF is not a native Inventor type.

jletcher
Advisor

I don't think you do know exactly how it works.

You said:

"One saves the document as a IDW or DWG with a new name and the other essentially exports it as one of many extensions."

That is only one part of it and only for Drawing environment not the model side and that is where the value of saveas and save copy as is. Also there is NO option for Inventor DXF only Inventor DWG under saveas. Another reason I fell you don't know how it works.

The other (save copy as) does a lot more then you stated and you miss the value if you don't understand exactly how it works.

One leaves the file open to work on the other closes it to stay on the original.

Don't just think it is to save for a different file extention it does a lot more for those that know exactly how it works.

No matter if they give you want you want you still have to change the file type to DXF and know it is not the Inventor DWG because there is no Inventor DXF option.

See your flaw?

What you want is a export option to DXF. They have DWG under export so adding a DXF option would be what you want.

I use the save as and save copy as 50 times a day and my clients as well it is the best thing if you know exactly how it works. It saves clicks and clicks = time.

Ask for a DXF export option like you really want.. Or do what many are doing and adding it to ilogic rule so all you have to do is press a button and it is done.

People work different because you see no value in it I can show you a 1000 users that do see the value.

SharkDesign
Mentor

No, I know exactly how it works, I use them both all the time.

When I said 'saveas DXF' I meant if the commands were to be amalgamated.

Like I said before, these commands really don't need to be separate.

jletcher
Advisor

Ok answer this then if you see no value.

If I want to make a copy of what I am working on how do I keep the copy open or how to I have it just save to file your way?

How are you going to keep it working the same way if they remove one for us that see the value?

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly- it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes.

We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know.

- Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report