Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: Wrong autocorrection of formulas in the f(x) window

Bug: Wrong autocorrection of formulas in the f(x) window

Hi,

I posted this to the forums and one commented that this should go to the inventor ideas forum so here it is:

I sometimes use the user parameters in the f(x) parameter window to calculate areas, forces, speeds etc. For some time (years actually), I have noticed that inventor sometimes adds parentheses wrongly to the formulas I enter. This time I wanted to calculate the total area of a set of round holes, but when writing PI * d_holes^2 / 4 * n_holes, which doesn't need any parentheses, Inventor incorrectly turned it into (PI * d_holes) ^ 2 ul / 4 ul * n_holes, which of course yields an error of a huge magnitude. Still, it might not be that easy to spot instantly, like other autocorrected mistakes including very obvious ones.

I solved it by adding some parentheses myself: PI * ( d_holes ^ 2 ) / 4 ul * n_holes, which Inventor further changed to PI * ( (d_holes) ^ 2 ul ) / 4 ul * n_holes. Unfortunately, I don't recall with certainty if any other formulas has been autocorrected wrongly, but at least formulas similar to this one, with pi multiplied by a radius or diameter squared, have been subject to the error.

I use inventor Professional 2023. Perhaps this error is fixed in newer versions, and if so, all is well. If not, then please try to fix this. It might cause some major design errors if not noticed and corrected. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report