Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bend Up or Down setting Flat pattern

Bend Up or Down setting Flat pattern

Would be great to have a default setting for making a flat pattern so you can choose if it should be Up or Down.

Or have most bends up.

4 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Select the face before creating the flat pattern. If you want the majority of bends up, select the face you want near side in your view prior to creating the flat.

You may have to delete A Side definition, as it will override this trick if on the opposite side face.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jimm left out that this suggestion is the reason Autodesk added the "Define A-Side" command a few versions ago (2015 maybe?). More specifically, they added it for CNC machines that require knowledge of which side is "up" on the table, such as a punch-press.

I use this feature mainly because the shops I work in have either a plasma table or a waterjet and the bottom side of the plate/sheet usually gets scratched up or gets rust lines from the slats in the table and general lack of care when handling. So with that knowledge, when I'm designing a part/assembly, I always make a determination as to which side will be the "good side" and define that side as the A-side.

Then on my drawings, I try to always place the flat-pattern with all (or most) of the bends up (since most all machines bend upward) and add to the view label a note such as "GOOD SIDE UP" or "GOOD SIDE DOWN".

Eddie

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

A-side definition should work for this requirement. User could define the expected a-side definition, and it will make most of bends up or down. This function is available from 2015/2016.

steve_lindley
Advocate

Such a shame that instead of changing the software to reflect the majority of presses that bend up, Autodesk thought it better to make a permanent work around and create an extra process for users, which is not as efficient and can frequently be missed.

Personally, I'd like to see this idea post re-opened as it wasn't implemented. It was given a work around...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report