Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[API] Migrate to .NET 5+

[API] Migrate to .NET 5+

Hi all!

As a dedicated user of and developer for Inventor and Vault related products, I am reaching out with a pressing concern.

The landscape of software development is rapidly evolving, and we've noticed a growing challenge: third-party libraries are increasingly dropping support for .NET Framework. This will presents a significant obstacle for developers working with Autodesk Inventor products in the nearby future, hindering seamless integration of their solutions.

To address this issue and future-proof our development environment, I urgently request the migration of APIs for all Inventor-related Autodesk products to .NET 5 and beyond. This strategic move would not only resolve compatibility issues but also unlock a multitude of advantages for both developers and end-users introduced in later .NET versions and third party libraries available for those versions.

While I understand the challenges associated with such a migration, the long-term benefits for us developers are invaluable. Your commitment to embracing the latest technologies will not only keep Autodesk products relevant but also empower developers to create more innovative and efficient solutions.

Thank you for your understanding and prompt attention to this critical matter!

Best regards,

Alain Miltenburg

4 Comments

There is no official support. However, I'm using .NET5/6/7/8 add-ins and have no problems.

Take a look at this repo https://github.com/PockyBum522/template-inventor-core-addin

alain_miltenburg
Advocate
Thanks for your response.
I already know it works on the COM OLE interface of Inventor, as it has
nothing to do with .NET.
However, the API's of both Vault and Factory Design Utilities I'm
developing against are .NET Framework native. And those are preventing to
migrate beyond .NET 4.8.
ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Inventor is being migrated to .net8 for the next major release. It is already available for the testing of add-ins in the Inventor Feedback/Beta Community.

If you are not already a member then you can join using http://Autode.sk/InventorBeta

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2025 (the .Net framework has been upgraded to .Net 8). Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report