Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotation values to Parameters

Annotation values to Parameters

Hi there,

I propose that Annotations should be accessible through the Parameters dialogue. This would allow for their values to be included in equations, exported to iProperties for inclusions in drawings etc.

Currently you can work around this by creating a 2D or 3D sketch, creating a reference dimension value, and accessing it through the Parameters dialogue, but using Annotations for this purpose would eliminate a number of steps.

Thanks!

1 Comment
LSKELLY
Contributor

@gerrardhickson

It looks like we want the same thing. But I have a different idea for an implementation. Rather than using an annotation, make a new kind of feature that is very similar to an assembly constraint. The difference between a regular constraint and this feature would be:

A driving constraint takes user input as a parameter and changes the model position.

A driven constraint takes user input of dragging the model and changes the parameter.

In other words: parameter drives movement vs movement drives parameter

This is not to be confused with the "drive constraint" function which is something entirely different.

To demonstrate that this should be possible, consider that it can already be done in sketch mode where the user can drag a sketch around and all the driven dimensions update dynamically while dragging. You can use these dimensions to make calculations on other dimensions in real-time while dragging.

I have attached an example to post 24 of this Inventor Forum thread:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/any-way-to-create-a-quot-driven-constraint-quot-that-b...

The name of the attachment is Eater Sketch.ipt. Drag the sketch about by gripping the center of the circle and see what it does.

If anybody can make an assembly behave like that sketch does please let me know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report