Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Activation of Multiple View Reps

Allow Activation of Multiple View Reps

My customer owns a staging company. I do not usually design things. I stack scaffolding and other elements together to create models of stages. I do this to create drawings so that his customer knows what they are getting, the engineer uses to ensure that the stage is safe, and the crews use to build the stage.

Right now, I think of both View Reps and Level of Detail as being subtractive. That means the Master LOD and View Rep contain every piece of equipment I’ve used. Since I use patterns quite a lot, I have a Default LOD where extra components that are not needed are suppressed.

For my drawings, I need to create many additional combinations of View Reps and LODs, each with components suppressed or visibility turned off in order to clearly display the necessary information in each drawing.

Instead of creating View Reps and LODs by subtracting elements, I propose being able to activate multiple View Reps at a time. That way one could create View Reps for each class of element and then turn on those elements that they need for their drawing.

Take, for example, a car. The frame, the body, the tires, the engine, the drive train, etc., could each have a View Rep. A drawing with just the engine and drive train could be created by choosing those two View Reps. A drawing of just the frame, tires, and body could be created by choosing just those three, etc.

I’m aware that this is a simple example and that there are probably easier (better?) ways to accomplish those particular drawings, but my models and drawings are, for the most part, not simple, and creating multiple combinations using View Reps and LODs is time consuming.

Additive View Reps would make my life much easier. Seems like every time I ‘finish’ a set of drawings, my customer wants another sheet with a view that has something else added or removed, meaning I need to create yet another View Rep/LOD combination.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report