Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add constraints for an image in a Sketched Symbol

Add constraints for an image in a Sketched Symbol

There needs to be the ability to constrain images in a Sketched Symbol, basically the same as in a part sketch. As of Inventor 2013 (and possibly before and after) the only control available is to roughly move the image to where it's needed and leave it there. It seems to break 1 of the founding rules in Inventor of CONSTRAIN ALL SKETCHES. #NeedConsistencyAutodesk

SKETCHED_SYMBOL.png

13 Comments

Forgot to include that this should also apply to images used in an IDW title block.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally agree with the OP.

It is very difficult to place an image precisely for template purposes. Its just a manual drag and aligning, imagine doing it for creating several templates.

Solutions to this would be appreciated. We are using 2014, so something that could be applied to the older versions would be very helpful.

WCrihfield
Mentor

When we are editing a sketch, and we use the insert image button to insert an image, we need to be able to fully constrain that image and place dimensions to its edges, within the sketch environment, for title block sketches, sketched symbol sketches, & other drawing sketches, the way we can in a Part file sketch.

Thanks for enabling that ability within part file sketches, but what about assembly files.  Why is the insert image button greyed out, while I'm editing a sketch within an assembly file?  Why can't I easily insert an image on either a work plane or the flat face of a component the way I can within a part file?  Please enable this too, and make it work with the images as we can within part files.

MoshiurRashid
Advisor

I suggest you put the sketch in a separated sketch profile. 

Brandon_Mooney
Advocate

Just coming here from Inventor 2021, for anyone still looking there are no controls for images yet implemented. Please vote 🙂

Octal7
Explorer

Yes would definitely like to apply constraints to images in borders and title blocks.

Scottyos
Enthusiast

Think this would be a nice feature to implement. It would be very useful on my end. Otherwise I have to remember all the scale factors for all the sketch symbols we use. 😞

Being able to constrain a raster image would most definitely be helpful.

Get out there and vote!

ROakley_Trility
Enthusiast

basic functionality missing in ALL Autodesk products
I asked for this in the 90s early 2000s back when i was using Mechanical Desktop and Inventor was still a wee baby
Autodesk suppliers (and a couple of the Yank crowd that came to OZ for demos) would say hey how come your still using MechDT why not use inventor, i would answer when you guys eventually add enough tools to create and annotate a FULL mechanical detail drawing, ill look at using it, as my deliverables back then were 2d drawings and you could not complete a proper detail drawing from inventor till about 2006 when i finally started using it (i had made simulation models of operating cone crushers which was awesome but the annotation tools were like using a box of crayons
so here we are over 20 years later and STILL MISSING BASIC FUNCTIONALITY
great job Autocrap looks like our subscription money is getting put to good use

ali.jahed
Enthusiast

Come on Autodesk.....Learn something from AutoCAD!!!!

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Many thanks for posting the idea, and tracked as [INVGEN-74368]

joe.spearRYE96
Explorer

This is essential.

even just a node at the top right like text boxes receive would be exponentially better than freeballing the size box.

maybe even two. one at top right and one at top left.

the ability to dim diagonal would scale it essentially, then the sides and top could be resized with precision.

I know its not the easiest to put in but those are my thoughts in this priority. 

1. nodes to constrain to drawing.

2. nodes for sizing

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report