Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Ability To Change Appearance / Finish When Placing Content Center Parts

Add Ability To Change Appearance / Finish When Placing Content Center Parts

Please can you add the ability to select the appearance / finish when placing content center parts in to an assembly.

You can select the component, size and base material but not the appearance / finish.

For example when placing a screw, I have created custom content center versions with material grade 8, 8.8, 10.9, 304, 316 etc. These can come in a variety of finishes such as self-colour (black), zinc plated (chrome) etc.

2 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

This isn't quite what you're asking for, but might be a workaround you could use to improve however you're doing this now.  The last time I made major changes to our CC libraries, part of what I was doing was adding different finishes to our hardware.  I achieved it by making copies of the physical material and setting their default Appearance. 

For example, instead of a material called "Steel" with an appearance of "Zinc", I made a copy of the "Steel" material, renamed it to "Steel - Zinc Plated", and set the default appearance to be "Zinc".  I did something similar for all of the finishes we commonly use (which, thankfully, is not that many).

Might not be practical depending on how many different combinations you get into, but it works reasonably well for us.  The biggest problem I have with it in my implementation is that the "default" material seems to just be the first possibility alphabetically, which works out to be the "Steel - Black Oxide" version.  We usually prefer zinc, but black oxide is the default and sometimes isn't noticed by engineers in a hurry.  

@jtylerbc Many thanks for your help and it is a great suggestion which I will look in to 😀

In the meantime, I have stumbled upon this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciZCkS-IoYE

This allows columns to be added and set as key columns so that they show in the place content center dialogue box.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report