Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure in Section View

Measure in Section View

Hi,

I would like to be able to measure/dimension in a Section View. (part or assembly).

This is like creating the geometry of the section like in a drawing view section. One should be able to use it for measuring or creating dimensions.

I will vastly improve the speed of doing measurements at the assembly level and also it will enable creating cross-sectioned dimensioned assembly views for communication with colleagues/customers. (this is possible to do right now but it requires more steps).

Thank you for your support! Smiley Happy

Adrian

25 Comments
Gokhan_Kaya
Mentor

Hi

I wish I could measure between two part edge on halfview  while we design we use usualy half section view so we need inference parts amount of pass

for example

can not measure on half section view

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/f3caeaab-4174-4ce6-bdb1-5ecf71684488

if we create a sketch on assembly and project geometry we can measure between two part edge(inference) and edit models

http://autode.sk/2e2Y5KJ

Tags (1)
DRoam
Mentor

@Gokhan_Kaya, this suggestion is a duplicate. Please cast your vote for the original to help get this suggestion recognized: Measure in Section View (currently 15 votes).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Sir

In the some cases we can not measure the angle of two things. For example in the taper lock bush as shown below we can not measure angle of taper.

Untitled.png

Thank you

Thomas_Savage
Advisor

Hello,

You should be able to measure the angle on that part.

I just model and could dimension the part, and get the angle.

Thomas.

Angle.png

jingyi.liu
Alumni

Hi 

I think you want to measure the angle in section view, so it's similar to below ideas.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/measure-in-section-view/idi-p/5546905

Regards,

MTimmis_ADSK
Advocate

Something that came up recently, was in reference to the Model section view tool, if you apply a section, for instance a Half Section, you cannot pick the sectioned face to measure from. This is a function I have been advised that Solidworks has, which users have found useful within the context of the model without having to create a drawing.

Section Measure.png

Tags (4)
Cadmanto
Mentor

I know you can measure when doing a model section.

Section1.png

What I am suggesting is when one of these sections is done, it is primarily done because one cannot see fully how parts are interacting or positioned.  For other reasons I am sure as well, but when these sections are done, what I am proposing is being able to measure somehow at the point of where the section is taken from to where ever as shown below.  I fully realize that there is no hard core edge, but there has to be some software genius that can figure out a way to make this part of the software.

Section.png

Tags (1)
jtylerbc
Mentor

Seems like it could just create temporary "projected cut edges" at the cutting plane.  Then you could measure between them similarly to how you would dimension between them in a section view on a drawing.

I'm sure it could be a memory hog in some cases with large assemblies, but in many of those cases the section tool itself already bogs down a bit.  So maybe it wouldn't be that much worse than it already is.

swalton
Mentor

Creo allows measuring of the section edges.  It can be helpful

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great idea!

asiu
Advocate

Duplicate idea

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/measure-in-section-view/idi-p/5546905

Autodesk, please consolidate votes.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't believe you can't measure in a section view after all you are in this view to investigate something in the first place, of course Solidworks has it, it has everything needed and takes half as long as this software.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I think being able to measure in .ipt/.iam section view would be very useful.  It seems odd one can't pick section view geometry with 2d or 3d sketch at the section view plane for measurement, etc.  The only workaround I've found is to create a plane at the section desired and use half section view using that plane to create the view.  Then create a 3d sketch and use '3D intersection curve' command and select any part and the plane previously created.  Additional curves will need to be created for other parts if you're working in an assembly.  Cumbersome at best but at least there is a way... 

andyDKFUQ
Contributor

Even Alibre Design can measure from a section view.  If that's not a sign that Inventor needs this feature then I'm not sure what is. 

Alibre Design Measuring in section viewAlibre Design Measuring in section view

andyDKFUQ
Contributor

Even Alibre Design can measure from a section view.  If that's not a sign that Inventor needs this feature then I'm not sure what is.  

Alibre design - measure in section viewAlibre design - measure in section view

andyDKFUQ
Contributor

Alibre Design - measure section viewAlibre Design - measure section view

Sometimes Im surprised when I find a feature like this is missing. I vote for this feature to be added as soon as possible. So strange fusion can do so much yet it cant do this and cant change the size of dimension arrows in drawings. It is weird...

joao.preichardt
Observer

This is something it should be great to have. 

Today I managed to take some measurements like this:

I created a plane at the desired section and projected lines in a sketch.

The only way I could do this. 

measurements cut view 2.jpgmeasurements cut view.jpg

thsV367N
Explorer

This is possible in Solidworks along with several other features missing in Inventor. This thread was started in 2015 and still it is not possible to measure in section views in parts and assemblies. Stuff like this is why I prefer Solidworks

william.towler
Explorer

It does surprise me that the ability to measure in a section is missing. I used to use SDRC IDEAS and Digibuck back in 1999 and 2000 and it had the feature and it was useful when checking clashes and clerences in an assembly. This was a move away from the old procedure - 1990's of creating a drawing section every 100mm and checking for clashes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report