Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 words - SPELL CHECK

2 words - SPELL CHECK

need I say more?

77 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can AutoDesk use some of the money they are making after more than tripling the annual cost of ownership to work on spell check?

msklein
Collaborator

ronald_plesh 

I've been around long enough to remember back when AutoCAD was still in DOS, some lone programmer in Mississippi wrote a spellchecker and text editor for AutoCAD that was still far superior to the text editor and spell checker that Autodesk finely came out with a year or two later. Unfortunately he died in a car crash before he could finish the rewrite of it into a Windows version for 14. So I'm not buying that its that hard for a software company the size of Autodesk to write one and it should have been included 17yrs ago. Or at the least within the first few years of program.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a big task, but not so big that it cannot be done.  It may be a HUGE task, but still not so huge that it cannot be done.

I know Autodesk is making a CHOICE to not implement this functionality.  Regardless of the reason, they are choosing to put resources elsewhere or not spend the money to pay a 3rd party to develop it.

The only way they will make the CHOICE to do it is enough people bring up the shortcoming.

Maybe if we keep this thread alive it will get more traction!

andrewdroth
Advisor

If I had to guess, Autodesk will never add spell check to Inventor.

You will see it in Fusion before you see it in Inventor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly. Most of their development money is likely going to their cloud products on the Fusion platform.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just dropping by to keep the thread active.  AutoDESK should be reminded one of their flagship programs is missing functionality that has been present in computer programs for at least a decade.

msklein
Collaborator

Ronald,

I had a spell checker/text editor for AutoCAD back in say 1990-1991with 2 dictionaries of which one was a editable dictionary. It still took Autodesk to what 94 or so to add a spell checker to AutoCAD, it would have been easy cheaper and better if they had just bought the one man company out of Tennessee at the time. I think he was charging like $20 a seat at the time. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

IF INVENTOR IS GOING TO BE USED TO GENERATE DRAWINGS, NOT HAVING A SPELL CHECK CAN BE VERY CUMBERSOME. I UNDERSTAND THE CHALLENGES WITH THE DIFFERENT LANGUAGES THAT INVENTOR SUPPORTS BUT MAYBE START WITH ENGLISH AND ADD OTHERS LATER. AUTOCAD'S SPELL CHECK WORKS GREAT SOMETHING SIMILAR WOULD BE A BIG TIME SAVER. IT WOULD NEED TO RECOGNIZE CAPS AS TEXT AS WELL, SINCE ALL OF THE DRAWINGS WE PRODUCE ARE CAPS LOCKED FORMATTED TEXT.  ESPECIALLY WITH GENERATIONS OF YOUR USERS THAT GREW UP WITH SPELL CHECK AND AUTOCORRECT, SPELLING WILL ONLY GET WORSE AND THE NEED FOR THIS TOOL WILL ONLY INCREASE TO ENSURE PROFESSIONAL DRAWINGS FOR CUSTOMERS.

dgorsman
Consultant

Not totally disagreeing, but two points.

I'm not certain I'd trust someone who relies heavily on autocorrect to produce a technically reliable drawing.  The same rigorous attitude which produces clean accurate drawings also produces fewer grammatical and spelling errors.

And drawings are not manuals or books.  While there may be a few notes, for the most part drawings will be technical terms/abbreviations, numbers, and line work.  There shouldn't be a chapter's worth of text to be spell checked.  Even a bill of materials/quantity should be controlled automatically from parts with little to no manual input.

tschaeferZNBXX
Advisor

So we can now draw a box around text but still no spell check?!?!?!?!?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tschaeferZNBXX exactly one more reason to be disappointed in AutoDESK's decision process.

One of the reasons I was told we could not have spell check was because there are so many places text exist that are not related.  Which means they have so much work to do in order to add spell check across the board.

Instead, they spent the time and money to update SOME texts so we could have boxes but did not spend the time and money to add basic computer functionality.

I am going to spend some time looking for ANY program updated or released in 2018 that does not have spell check.  Can anyone find one?

tschaeferZNBXX
Advisor

@Anonymous I am just wanting the function in individual multi-line text.  I could care less if it searches the entire drawing just the active text.  Seems like it should be fairly easy IMO.

So I can have spell check on my phone, Smart TV, ALL Microsoft applications and even in FREE APPS on my phone but not a $2,000 piece of software?

pdecker
Advocate
I'd like to know where you can get Inventor for $2000.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

andrewdroth
Advisor

^^^ It's a Christmas Miracle!

msklein
Collaborator

Sorry ,

i'll believe it when I see it and not till then, I've been complaining about it to those who had a say back on release 3,4,5 when they used to come down and visit the "Silicon Valley users group". It would have been a lot easier to insert back then as everything would have been built around the spellcheck than the other way around. Before it's size and complexity was so big. I was trained back on version 2 or 3 while I was at Applied Materials and have been raving about the lack of a spell checker since then, that's about what 17yrs now. Should have been their before the first release. Autodesk should have learned that after finely inserting a spellchecker in AutoCAD 14.

You made a halfhearted attempt what 8 yrs ago  maybe less and it was a total flop

ericLDMKV
Explorer

Please consider adding a spell check function for Inventor, we've been needing this simple function for years now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This idea has already been accepted which means they are planning on releasing it in the future. Smiley Happy https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/2-words-spell-check/idi-p/5023978

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in agreement with everyone on this thread. It is mind boggling that this function has not been added to Autodesk Inventor. My hope is that it will be captured in Inventor 2019. 

DRoam
Mentor

I personally find the lack of any sort of "Find and Replace" function in Inventor even more surprising and frustrating. It's much simpler than a Spell Checker and yet it's not in Inventor in any form, not even in Drawings for simply checking Text boxes.

If you agree Inventor should have this in addition to a Spell Checker, please vote for it here: Find and Replace text search in Inventor files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report