Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would anyone be able to help me with this model?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
TBuccieri
474 Views, 14 Replies

Would anyone be able to help me with this model?

In the attached stp file, I only need part "CAB (2)". I tried contacting the original author, but to no avail. I can see the errors, using repair bodies, but, honestly, this is just beyond what I typically do. This is so I can 3d print most of the main parts, for an RC body. I can get all the other parts I need to work, just not the cab. I can even print in this condition, but I need CAB (2) to build other parts off of and I can't Derive and use it properly, w/ the errors.

AI 2023 Build: 271, Release: 2023.2

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
SBix26
in reply to: TBuccieri

Most basic information needed: what version of Inventor are you using??

Using Inventor 2023.2.1 Repair Bodies successfully repaired CAB (2).  The only error found was "duplicate vertices", and the repair worked.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023.2.1 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 3 of 15

Hi

Does the option to derive a solid to a part solve your problem?

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 15
TBuccieri
in reply to: SBix26

How did you "repair" it? When I used repair bodies, it showed the errors, but, when I clicked on them, it gave no solution. It just had the left and right arrows to move to the next error.

AI info added to OP

Message 5 of 15

I specially marked on the recording to select the option of stitching the surface during import. This way you will get solid bodies.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 6 of 15

I can open the stp and create parts. I can derive CAB (2) into a new part, just like you did. However, once I commence with all the parts I'd like to make, based on said derive, Inventor won't allow me to split, trim, combine, etc (anything to do with just that body part).

Message 7 of 15

I don't understand. What you want to do?

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Message 8 of 15

The part CAB (2) is a shell to a vehicle body for an RC truck. I'd like to make interior features, such as a floor, dashboard, seats, etc. To make the floor and supporting structures, I need to derive this into a part file and start sketching. I make a sketch on YZ and it includes the basic profile of said floor. I extrude into a surface, going in both directions along the X-axis. I thicken this surface to create a floor. I know need to cut it so it fits w/in the CAB (2) interior boundary. Combine keeps coming back w/ an error and I can only assume it's from those found in Repair Bodies. I've used the other parts in a similar fashion, with zero failures or errors. However, I need to combine this CAB (2) with CAB (3), to create a singe body (which will later be 3D printed) and add attachment points. 

Message 9 of 15

So do it differently, for example by making a full board and cutting the bodies out of it. And then remove unnecessary surfaces.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Message 10 of 15

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but I think I tried that. 

I also tried making a solid block around the entire parts and tried using combine to cut the parts from the solid block. Error. 

Message 11 of 15

If you can't solid, you have to surface modeling.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
TBuccieri

I took CAB(2) and CAB(3), repaired them and unstitched. Then, stitched them together to make a single body part. I make a sketch, with a profile, and extrude a surface. I thicken the surface into a new part. I can't get the new part to be cut by using the 2 stitched bodies (now a single part) as a tool. This is what I'm trying to do to get a "floor" to fit inside. If this is the wrong approach, please, feel free to throw ideas at me. Most of the other stuff will be easy and a lot of the "parts" are already stl files (which I have no problem importing and adding/using). It's just the front and cab of this vehicle.

Message 13 of 15

Try to do it by surface modeling.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Message 14 of 15

I've tried it with surfaces and solids, using trim, combine, sculpt, split, etc. Everything comes back with "did not produce meaningful result".

Message 15 of 15
SBix26

After using Find Errors, then use the Heal Errors tool, and that's it:

SBix26_0-1679088670765.png

After clicking OK, I get this result:

SBix26_1-1679088757806.png

I've attached the result (2023 format).

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023.2.1 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report