Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working from home

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
522 Views, 7 Replies

Working from home

Hey guys, not sure if I am posting to the correct group but I am wondering if anyone else is using Inventor at home (working from home)? If so, how do you manage the large files over VPN? What would be the best way to work from home and still be able to send files to the workplace? Would it be better to have an external hard drive and then just physically take the files to work on the hard drive? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
neljoshua
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous,

I am working from how right now as well. Our setup is as follows.

When in the office, we all connect to our Vault server through a wireless network. When out of the office we connect to Vault through a VPN. My setup is a little wonky right now because I am using a Mac and running Inventor through a Parallels Virtual Machine. In any event, those of us who have Macs use Tunnelblick to make the VPN connection. When working remotely we route all of our traffic through the VPN; this is the only way this setup works.

My home network is fast enough and/or my file sizes are small enough that I have not had any issues with this setup. Our assemblies are typically in the "hundreds of parts" range. There have been times where I had just let it sit for awhile to check something in (overnight once!), but the files did eventually check in properly. One note: when working from home I never delete my working copies when checking stuff in; this ensures that I also have a local copy in case something goes poorly with the check-in process.

Solely saving the files on a physical drive would be a solution if my connection was dodgy, but this makes me nervous; if the drive were to get lost/broken all of the work would be lost as well.

__

If this post answered your question, please select "Mark as Solution" in order to help others who may have the same (or a similar) question.

Lenovo Thinkpad P1, 2.70 GHz Intel Xeon, 32.0 GB, Windows 10 Pro
Message 3 of 8
Cadmanto

I work from home all the time.  I tried VPN in the past and it hung up unmercifully.  So, from that point forward (and that was about 6 years ago) I either copy the files or do a pack and go (using a single path) to a thumb drive and copy them on to my local at home.  Works great and is a heck of a lot faster.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

To 1 single path... That does mean all your files are in the main folder? No structure or whatsoever?

Message 5 of 8
Cadmanto

What ever folder you select in the process within the working folder.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 8
dgorsman

What are you doing for licensing - Desktop/individual, or network? 

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Stand-alone

Message 8 of 8
blandb

If someone wants to see an assembly of mine, I will do a pack and go, single path > skip all libraries, work groups etc. This will give the end user just a folder with all the files at one level. Don't have to sift through 10 folders that all house 1 file a piece in them.

Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report