Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my model import sideways into assembly?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
1277 Views, 18 Replies

Why does my model import sideways into assembly?

I'm having a bit of trouble with importing models into an assembly (Note: as a new inventor user, this is the first time I've used assembly so far).

When I try to place my part, the 'ghost' of my part is in te correct orientation, with the Y axis point up. But when I click the graphics window to place the part, it flips onto its back, and then the Z axis is facing up. I have no idea why it would do this?

chair import troubles.png

Labels (1)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

How is the orientation of it in the model / ipt?

Are you using the import / place at origin in the Application options? 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
mikejones

Hi Luke

It looks like the orientation is correct with Y being up when compared with the View Cube orientation. What you need to do is the following

1. create a new assembly using your standard assembly template
  2. Click the Front Face of the view cube and rotate the view if Y is not up and X horizontal left to right.
  3. RMB click the home icon next to the view cube and choose 'Select curr3ent View As' and choose Front Option
  4. LBC one of the corners on the view cube to set the orientation to the isometric view you want.
  5. RMB click on the home icon again and this time select 'Set Current View As Home' and then either option; I go with Fit To View
  6.  Now go File menu, Save As, Save copy as template and save is as Standard. Make sure you take a copy of your original template file first.
  7. Close your file and everything should be as you want it.

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 19
JDMather

What do you observe if your click on Top of the view cube?

View Cube.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

The Y axis is up in the part file.

I can't seem to see an option to place at origin?

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: mikejones

Thanks for your input, but everything in the right place when launching a new blank assembly. It's only once I insert the part that everything flips. I don't see how saving a new template would sold this.

Message 7 of 19
mikejones

The Y axis is up in the assembly file too if you look at your first screenshot and compare it to the orientation of the viewcube.  

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

Okay, just tried place at origin and it does exactly the same thing! The model may be set at origin, but its still on its back.

Message 9 of 19
mikejones

Are you saying that a new assembly file is orientated with the Y axis pointing up and the View cube Top Face at the top and when you insert a part the view rotates 90° about the X axis? to now put the Front Face on top of the cube and the Z axis pointing up on screen?

Are you seeing  something the same as the attached images?

Mike

Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

Hi Mike,

Yeah exactly that, as shown in your examples images.

Message 11 of 19
mikejones

Ok so it's not actually rotating the model it's rotating the whole camera view about the X axis 90°i.e. the view cube is rotating back hence the front view moves to the top view. I've not seen that behavior before and can only assume its an application option setting on either the display tab or the assembly tab.

Mike

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your support. Sorry, as a newbie i'd have no idea where to find these settings? I cant see anything on the Assemble tab in the ribbon, nor do I know where to look for the display tab?

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

on the ribbon, select the tools tab, then application options, then there's an assembly and display tabs in those settings.

Message 14 of 19
johnsonshiue

Hi Luke,

Please follow Mike's reply (#3) to change the ViewCube orientation. I believe you want the part and the assembly to have the same ViewCube orientation (Z up/top). This needs to be change in individual part or assembly file.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for your reply, but I think you misunderstand. I don't want the Z to be up, I want the Y to be up, as it is in my part file. Both files begin with the correct orientation (Y up), but when I click the graphics window to insert the part in the assembly, then the triad is rotated about the X axis.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. Attached is an image of my settings; i can't see what is wrong? I certainly haven't changed any of the default settings that's for sure.

Message 17 of 19
mikejones

the axis is still the same as far as I can see. In the part file if you click the Front face of the view cube then Y is up. In the assembly if you click the Front face of the view cube then Y is up. The difference is in the orientation of the Home view for the two templates; part and assembly. I suspect that in the part file if you click the home icon; the little house next to the view cube, the view is as you want it but if you do the same in the assembly you don't get the same view; the view rotates about the X axis. This is why I outlined the steps in an earlier email that would set the view orientation in the assembly template. 

To correct it in you're current assembly simply set the view to how you want it using the view cube; clicking on the corners will set it to isometric views, and then RMB click on the home icon, choose set home view and choose either option but I would suggest fit to view. Whenever you click the home view it will give you what you want. Seting it in the template file will fix it for future use.

Mike

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

Hi Mike,

I guess I must have had the wrong standard template set up for my assembly. Ah well, I've done as you instructed and all is well.

Thanks for your support everyone.

Message 19 of 19
mikejones

I personally think it's an issue with the standard templates that should be fixed by Autodesk. One pet hate of mine is with the part file templates.

• create a sketch on the front facing XY plane and horizontal is left to right and vertical up down
  • create a sketch on the top facing XZ plane and horizontal is still left-right 
  • create a sketch on the YZ plane and horizontal is now up down and vertical is left-right. Can someone explain that to me?

Glad you got it sorted anyway Luke

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report