Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why cant i sweep this profile ?

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Nauris47
968 Views, 24 Replies

Why cant i sweep this profile ?

Hello, im struggling with sweeping this profile around an elipse. Am i doing something wrong ? 

Nauris47_1-1684248822025.png

The ipt file is attached below.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
JDMather
in reply to: Nauris47

Delete the 50mm dimension (not the line).

Drag the end of the line down to the Projected line so that it is coincident.

JDMather_0-1684253516974.png

Right click and change these two lines to Construction

JDMather_0-1684253620252.png

(not strictly needed, but I am trying to avoid confusion).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 22 of 25
JDMather

@Nauris47 

Select these Profiles to Sweep (note that we avoid the self-intersecting area in the middle).

JDMather_0-1684253743607.png

Select the Ellipse as the Path...

JDMather_1-1684253804736.png

Make both Sketch1 and Sketch2 visible again.

Extrude Sketch1 TO this point in Sketch2.

JDMather_2-1684254022748.png

Make sure the Extrude is on Join (not Cut).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 23 of 25
Nauris47
in reply to: JDMather

Thank You alot for the time! So because of self intersection i wasnt able to sweep it right, and also because of the messy sketch...

Message 24 of 25
The_Angry_Elf

Now that JD helped you get everything set so it'll revolve, you might want to consider improving your technique of sketching. Aside from the items JD pointed out, use construction lines can really help keeping the actual profile clear and easier to select, so much so you can have the profile autoselected if sketched properly.

For example: The oval you have perpendicular to the profile, it doesn't need to be included, but if you want it for reference, change it from a solid line to a construction line. The smaller circles you use for fillets can be divided and the un-used portion changed to construction, avoiding a separate closed loop the system thinks you might want to revolve. You also have a line on top of a line.

In a nutshell, your sketch should or could look something like below. You're creating too much work for yourself otherwise. Be consistent and be accurate (4 decimals in inch, 3 in mm is extremely tight tolerance and rather expensive to machine).

3D isn't as forgiving as 2D.

sketch.PNG

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 25 of 25
JDMather

@Nauris47 wrote:

…and also because of the messy sketch...

@Nauris47 
Inventor doesn’t care about the messy sketch - with the one change to avoid self-intersecting geometry it would have Swept given you rubbish that sort of looks OK, but it is this lack of attention to design details that results in children cheering the explosion of a 30 or so engine rocket that they built.  Not to mention the ignoring of 50+ years of experience of launch pad design for heavy lift rockets.  Quality counts and in my experience is actually faster and cheaper in the long run.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report