Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why cannot link True/False parameter

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1586 Views, 5 Replies

Why cannot link True/False parameter

Hi,

this seams most basic feature, but for some reason I cannot find an easy way to get it.

In my part I have a True/False parameter.

I would like to link this to another part and assembly. But Boolean parameters are not listed on the list in link dialog.

So question is: How to import True/False parameters? And why it is not possible in straight forward way?

Cris.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CCarreiras
in reply to: Anonymous

I guess Text parameters and boolean parameters can't be exported.

I used to create a iLogic rule within the part to give a  relation between the boolean (or text parameter) and a numeric parameter, then,  i link this numeric parameter...ex:

IF ParameterText  =  open    THEN    parameterNumeric = 0

ELSE

IF ParameterText  =  closed   THEN    ParameterNumeric = 1

.....and then i link the numeric parameter with other parts.

Deppends what is the final objective.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: CCarreiras

I did the same.

But this is an extra, totally unnecessary work, that should no be required.

I wonder why simple things are not always simple for Autodesk.

Thanks, Cris.

Message 4 of 6
CCarreiras

The issue is.... if you wanna make a form to choose  "OPEN" or "CLOSED", it's better to use a text parameter than a use "0" or "1"....

It's only for that i use text parameters...

Boolean parameters...i never used that (i can't see the use of that, if someone can give me a good example to use that, i appreciate)... always make a iLogic rule, or something else...

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
mcgyvr

Only numeric parameters can be exported/linked too..

Text and True/False parameters are simply not supported...

Why? Not sure.. Probably because you can't use them in expressions so at the time that functionality was developed they didn't think users would need that functionality.

What can you do?... Your best bet is to create an ideastation request for other users to vote if that functionality would be useful to them too and with enough interest Autodesk will/may add that functionality to the program.. But at this time its simply not supported (limitation of the link/export parameter functionality)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/idb-p/v1232/tab/most-recent

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 6
janrienk
in reply to: CCarreiras

I have the same issue, currently gathering support to improve this here: ability to link all parameters

@CCarreirasBoolean parameters are easy to use in forms, and can only be True or False. I use these for different configurations (using iLogic) in the following way:

If has_feature_x Then
   Feature.IsActive("feature_x") = True
Else
   Feature.IsActive("feature_x") = False
End If

Since I want to be able to control my assembly in one spot it would be really handy not having to convert them. (Using a MASTER.ipt file to avoid conflicts)

Why boolean and not text? Because it is very straightforward, and you can be sure that there won't be any typo's comparing strings because it can only be either False or True. It also makes the code concise.

If you have only 2 states (open/closed) you would be able to turn this into a boolean like this:

If valve_is_open Then
   angle_valve = 0
Else
   angle_valve = 90
End If

Either way, sadly both string and boolean parameters can't be linked directly (yet).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report