Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White circle 'i' symbol with no prompt to tell you what is wrong with i-part

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
MakkaPakka
2000 Views, 4 Replies

White circle 'i' symbol with no prompt to tell you what is wrong with i-part

Inventor 2017.  I'm doing a lot with i-parts and i-assemblies. One thing that has cropped up is that next to an i-part table icon in the browser of an i-assembly, a white circle with an 'i' appeared indicating an error. However, hovering over the icon gives no indication as to what the problem is. Going into the i-part gives no clue either. Tried replacing the component and tried regenerating the i-part with the error - no joy. To get rid of it I did this: close the top level assembly with the error. Delete all of the i-part member files (indicated by the icon) from the folder where they reside. Open the assembly - it will report the missing link to the i-part. Point Inventor to load the i-part factory file. Once that's loaded, in the assembly browser, go to the assembly table and regenerate all of the assembly members. At the same time, the lower level i-parts called by the i-assembly table will be generated in sync with the newly regenerated i-assembly members. I think that is what the root of this annoying error is - I must have changed either the i-assembly or i-part and because they are linked by the i-assembly table they are out of sync if you do this. If there is an easier way to clear this error I would be glad to know.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jhackney1972
in reply to: MakkaPakka

The white circle with an "i" in it is not an error symbol but more of an informational symbol.  It means you have done something, or caused something, to happen that Inventor can interpret but it is trying to tell you that "you could do the operation a better way" for lack of a better explanation.  For example, I have "Enable relationship redundancy analysis" turned on in my Application Options.  From the screen capture below you can see I placed the upright part to the base using two "Insert" constraints to the bolt holes.  I then added a mate constraint between the upright part and the base so Inventor placed an informational warning.  Inventor users that push the Inventor modeling concepts to the edge will often have quite a few of these showing in their models.  It is not a good practice to ignore them but they normally will not hurt the operation you are trying to do.  There probably are exceptions, I just have not run into one myself.

Information Icon.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! The warning sign shows up when the given iPart member definition can no longer be found on the iPart factory author table. The particular member row has been deleted. You will need to open the iPart factory file and find the member row. If the member has been deleted, you will need to add it back.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5
MakkaPakka
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi I don’t think it was deleted. There are 9 members in the assembly and they were all in the relevant directory. I tried regeneration of all the I-part members but the error still showed. I may be wrong but I still think it’s kind of synchronisation problem. Where an i-part is generated by a call from an I- assembly, if you modify the I-part separately there would be a mismatch in the I-assembly. I’m guessing this. I will do some tests. Thanks all for the suggestions. It just puzzles me why Inventor cannot at least prompt some clue to the appearance of the symbol. I imagine the program is written something like : if this error occurs, display the i symbol in the browser. In which case why not put this reason when you hover over it. It can’t be null or the error would not show.

Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! Would you be able to share the iPart factory and the member file with the warning sign? Could you send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report