Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While doing multibody modelling and trying to save the individual parts created from the bodies in my .ipt, I get this message: "File Copy Error on Save: The system cannot find the file specified."

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ivanon3QVR2
318 Views, 3 Replies

While doing multibody modelling and trying to save the individual parts created from the bodies in my .ipt, I get this message: "File Copy Error on Save: The system cannot find the file specified."

First off, thanks for any insight into the situation, I really appreciate it.

An important part of a new workflow developed at my job involves creating an .ipt (using a template specific to our company) with multiple solid bodies in it, and then using the Make Components command to create an Assembly based on that .ipt, again using templates specific to our company for both the .iam and the newly created .ipts. 

When I attempt this workflow I'm able to follow it right up to the point where I have to start saving the new .ipts. I can save the Assembly just fine, but whenever I try to save those .ipts I end up with a popup box where the headline is "File Copy Error on Save" and the body reads "The system cannot find the file specified" - I've included an image of this box and the one immediately preceding it. Based on some similar asks in the forums I thought the problem might have been that my file structure was too deep (initially I was saving about six files into my testing folder), but I tried saving directly into my testing folder and ended up with the same result. 

I have a coworker who's experiencing the same problem, unfortunately, and his solution has been to get another person to do the Make Components operation for him. In both of our cases we had someone who was experienced with the process walk through what we were doing, and both of us were following procedure exactly. Unfortunately, his solution won't work for me, I'll need to do the full process on my machine without passing the project on to someone else to quickly Make Components. 

If anyone has any ideas I'd definitely be interested! And again, thanks very much. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sundars
in reply to: ivanon3QVR2

Hi @ivanon3QVR2 

Interesting. We haven't seen this issue before. The error seems to indicate that the make components command is trying to access a file stream which is non-existent. We have had some issues with the Make Components functionality in Inventor 2022.2 which just got fixed.

Could you please apply Inventor 2022.2.1 update and see if that solves your issue?

Things to check for

1. Is your target location on your disk accessible?

2. Do you have the templates in the available location?

3. The solid you are trying to "make components" - did it originate from a translated model via the referenced workflow (AnyCAD)

If nothing works, can you attach the problematic part here or email it to me: sundarsATautodeskDOTcom.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 3 of 4
ivanon3QVR2
in reply to: sundars

Hi @sundars

Yes, this seems to have fixed it! I passed it on to my coworker, I expect he'll be OK too. Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
sundars
in reply to: ivanon3QVR2

@ivanon3QVR2 

Excellent! Good to know. Thank you for the update.

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report