Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When opening a relatively large (141,708 KB) .step file Inventor just gets stuck at 92%

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
205 Views, 3 Replies

When opening a relatively large (141,708 KB) .step file Inventor just gets stuck at 92%

Hello All, 

I am trying to open a .step file that I have been sent (141,708KB), I have tried a 3 times with different settings.  During the unpacking process all appears to be going ok until the file gets to 92%, at this point Inventor 2020 just freezes. 

Any thoughts or work arounds? 

Thanks 

Ian Napper

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: 619288

Hi Ian,

This might be a bug. Please make sure you have install 2020.5 update followed by 2020.5.5 update. Another test to do is to try viewing it on viewer.autodesk.com. If it works on the Autodesk Viewer but fails on Inventor, it will be an Inventor bug.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
sundars

Hi Ian 

It's probably taking a long time to create all the necessary Inventor Parts/Sub-assemblies/Geometries. I would also let it run overnight to see if it finishes. Sometimes, large models can take a long time to translate.

On the import dialog, you could also uncheck wires/points/PMI and other options to speed things up, but the bulk of the time is probably spent in translating solids and surfaces which can be heavy.

One thing you can try is to use the Preview functionality and uncheck some components. This can be done by switching to the "Select" tab in the import dialog, hitting "Load Model" which will generate a preview. Then you can use the shown model tree to turn OFF some components.

Alternately, you could ask your supplier to break up the model into multiple sub-assemblies if that's possible. 

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 4 of 4
andrewiv

I had this issue on a large step a little while ago.  I ended up resolving it by using the default templates.  In my project file I changed the file path for templates to use C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2024\Templates\en-US\English\

This worked for me anyway and then I changed the templates back to our custom ones after the step was imported.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report