Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I open an assembly file it makes me relocate all components.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
423 Views, 5 Replies

When I open an assembly file it makes me relocate all components.

This comes up a lot.  I have these assembly files, and whenever I open them it makes me relocate EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT.  The window that comes up shows the component right there, in the folder it's looking in, but I still must press the 'enter' key for every one of the 100 or so components in the assembly, every time I open it.  Saving it once this task is complete doesn't fix the problem, I have to do it all over again.  How do I fix this?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you using Projects (*.ipj) files or are you using Vault?

Are you moving stuff around with Windows Explorer and not using Projects or Design Assistant?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I'm using project files (don't have Vault yet).  I've never understood the need or use of these project files, all they seem to do is get in the way.  I simply want to copy an assembly file to a new location so I can do some experimental work on it without jacking up the original file.

Message 4 of 6
mdavis22569

They have a copy design option in Inventor 

2020:

ilogic copy design.PNG

For:

all they seem to do is get in the way.

IPJ's are very important. They help you to keep everything organized.     

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I simply want to copy an assembly file to a new location so I can do some experimental work on it without jacking up the original file.

I do this all of the time, but I create a New Project to absolutely avoid "jacking up the original file".

(I was not aware of the Copy Design that @mdavis22569 pointed out, I will have to try that.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! The project file may be overwhelming to a new user. But, it is very helpful to organizing your design data. I guess you really did not use project files. You rely on absolute path to manage your Inventor files.

The Project file mainly defines a Workspace folder where your model files and drawing files are all stored under it (you can have nested folders). The behavior you describe sounds like the Inventor files are not inside the Workspace of the active project.

You can either move those files to the Workspace. Or, simple create a new project pointing to the folder containing the Inventor files as the Workspace.

The advantage of using project files is that you can literally move the entire project from folder A to folder B without worrying the path.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report