Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What software to use?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
526 Views, 10 Replies

What software to use?

hi there 

im not sure what software to use, im looking at doing a roller coaster track design/steel structures/and chassis etc, what would be the best software to use?

kind regards

Russell

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018.2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

hi jdmather

thank you for the reply, as im quite new to autocad where would i start in designing a coaster track?

kind regards 

russell

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... quite new to autocad ....

AutoCAD?

What is this AutoCAD that you speak of?

Is that a tool that was used in last century for design?

I don't think you can do anything like this in AutoCAD?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

hi jdmather

lol i meant im new to the autodesk software,

so i think im jumping in at the deep end, trying to design a roller-coaster track,

thanks

russell

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

hi  jamather

this is something like im trying to model 

https://youtu.be/PGRgXWsL-_Y

could i do this in inventor?

thanks

russell

Message 7 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! Yes, this can be done in Inventor. We have commercial customers doing full-scaled roller coaster system design using Inventor. For large scale project, they use combination of Frame Gen and Sweep features.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

hi johnson

do you know of a video i can watch so i can the process? for instance a straight track going into a curve and uphill at the same time?

regards

russell

Message 9 of 11
dgorsman

That isn't something you can just jump into, like one of those "simworld" coaster design games.  This is bona fide mechanical engineering software, right down to the (literal) nuts and bolts.

And the obligatory comment about what can be done in AutoCAD: the natural gas you use for cooking and heating was more than likely processed in a facility designed on AutoCAD, not Inventor.  Just sayin'.  Smiley Wink

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 11
The_Angry_Elf

JD,

You might wnat to adjust the exit angle or the location of the cup just a tad on that last one. The ball just hits the rim. It just might bounce the other way on the 3rd attempt....;)

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 11 of 11
kelly.young

@Anonymous have you started messing around with Inventor yet or are you just trying to figure out what is the best software?

Here is a good example of a simple setup, how crazy are you trying to get, trying to achieve backyard Super Dave status like that guy?

Using Autodesk Inventor to Drive Parts Along a Path

Do you have a drawing sketch, image, or something to give a better scope of what you're trying to accomplish?

There are many different ways to go about it but depending on your engineering proficiency and dedication to learning Inventor, there are many different avenues to send you down. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report