Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the right approach to fill a tapered volume?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
502 Views, 6 Replies

What is the right approach to fill a tapered volume?

If I just extrude the green slice, it pokes out of the exterior of the shape. I'd like to extrude in the direction shown by the dimension, filling up the space between the sketch plane and the closest geometry. 

What's the best way to go about this?

Annotation 2020-07-06 103704.jpg

Labels (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I think I figured it out. Instead of trying to go out from the inside face, I used a loft from the left to the right.

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

Another way - Replace Face (see Attached).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I've never used that feature before! It took me a while to even find it on the ribbon. But it works! Thank you very much.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

The loft command can be patterned, but the Replace Face one cannot, is that right? My intent is to make a 5X pattern for the feature I'm making.

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

That is correct.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! There is another approach using Surface Modeling workflows. You don't need to create any sketch actually. Simply use Offset/Thicken command to create a zero offset surface from the inside faces (bottom). Then use Sculpt command and select XZ plane, Workplane2, and the offset surface to create the new solid body. After that you can pattern it as a feature or as a body.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report