Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on here??? Inventor detail 17 (152,929KB !!)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Jklein9H5FY
436 Views, 6 Replies

What is going on here??? Inventor detail 17 (152,929KB !!)

I have two side plates on an assembly that one is basically blank (-5) and the other has an elaborate radial knurl pattern machined into it (-17). Due to the sheer size of detail 17 (152,929KB !!) it puts a serious lag on my laptop working with the detail or the column assembly. The file size is too large to attach to this post, so need suggestions on how to upload for expert review to determine if I have a bug/error in my part detail or it is just the immense machining information of the pattern....

THANKS

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi,

you can try ZIP it or

add to

https://drive.autodesk.com/home

and share link

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts! | Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button. | На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ"

Олександр Черніков / Alexander Chernikov

EESignature

Facebook | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 7
Jklein9H5FY
in reply to: Jklein9H5FY

File uploaded....

https://autode.sk/3RP3BBG

THANKS

Message 4 of 7

You have more than 2500 pattern elements - if all of them are needed, then it will not be possible to reduce the file size.

On the other hand, to use this part in an assembly, you can make a simplified version of it,
for example, by reducing the number of elements (to determine
this fragment size limits) or using a texture.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts! | Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button. | На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ"

Олександр Черніков / Alexander Chernikov

EESignature

Facebook | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 7
NigelHay

I have parts like this with large arrays which eat up resources. I usually supress the pattern features to use the parts in assemblies to avoid it slowing me down.

Another way to reduce file sizes of parts in order to share with other Inventor users is to open the part, drag the End of Part marker up the browser tree & re-save. I downloaded your part (149Mb), dragged the marker up to below your 1st extrusion & re-saved (228kb). The part is attached here, open it & drag the EoP marker back down to the end of the browser tree, the part will reconstruct itself. Essentially, you have saved a simple shape plus the instruction to make the finished part.

Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Indeed, the complexity and the amount of geometry seems to contribute to the large file size. I used internal debug tool to see if there is any corruption or leaked entities. I did not find any. There are 126266 faces and 261668 edges on the body. The amount of faces equates to 31566 individual boxes, while the complexity of the faces is much greater than planes.

Exporting the part to SAT to STEP leading to bigger files (250MB).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7
Jklein9H5FY
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks Johnson.... made me feel good to know there was no corrupted or open geometry! 👍

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report