Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What could the results be if files were never migrated to next version?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ampster40
219 Views, 5 Replies

What could the results be if files were never migrated to next version?

Sort of curious if anybody out there has some experience where a company may have decided to skip the migration process while upgrading from one version to the next version and apparently choose to never do so?

What could be some of the conditions end users would experience in that situation, anybody have any ideas?

TIA

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: ampster40

Typically, if you are migrating more than 2 releases, you are at risk of losing or compromising some data.

From my experiences, I've seen clients jump up to 10 releases (2 at a time, especially if you use Vault) and not see too many issues.

The main issues I've seen are text and dimensional type entities. But the kicker is if a specific process or option/feature was available and used in an older release that no longer exists in the newer release.

For example:

Level of Detail. LOD was used by a lot of ppl, but it was dropped, if I recall on the 2021 release and replaced with Model States. Depending on how and what you used LOD for, like custom views (which is a big no-no), those views may or will be affected and you'll need to correct such.

But I'll give you a word of advice, if and when you need to migrate those files, don't do a batch migration, you may end up with more issues. Your best bet is to simply open/save the file in the new release as you need to work with and allow it to migrate. Your results should be a lot better.

As far as deciding to never migrate, do they expect these files never to be used again, revised, copied, etc?

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 3 of 6
Frederick_Law

IV will keep asking you to migrate.  Assembly/drawing might get slow or has problems.

I backup old files and migrate all CC, common parts/assemblies, purchased parts, library parts.

Projects will be migrated when needed.  Always keep backups on old version.

I use Task Scheduler to migrate (The_Angry_Elf having heart attack now).

First migrate all part files.  Then assembly.  Next ipn.  Finally idw.

Do check the log to see what failed and fix them.

I think TaskScheduler do better migrate.

Old IV didn't add sketch to Holes.  Open and save to migrate them will not create the sketch.  TaskScheduler will.

I just checked some IV R7 purchase parts that I just keep migrating.  Their holes has sketch.

Old files at my current job don't, even they are opened and saved.  Need to edit the holes to "migrate" them.

Message 4 of 6

"I use Task Scheduler to migrate (The_Angry_Elf having heart attack now)."

LOL...who, me?

Task Scheduler works like a charm, sure, but I only migrate those files I know need to be migrated.

No sense migrating files that you're not going to use again....aka Archived files. (yes, I've seen plenty of places that will migrate those as well).

But in my experience, opening the file in the new release seems to result in less issues.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 5 of 6
Frederick_Law

Look at Hole1 and Hole2.  Hole1 is old, I added Hole2 and save:

Migration-01.jpg

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Let me clarify a little bit. When you open a file saved in older version in a newer Inventor, Inventor does migrate the file in the memory (no need to save unless it is edited). So for unmigrated files, such migration in the memory will happen every time it is opened until the files are saved in the current version.

For ipt files, migrating or not migrating does not matter much. But for iam files, it could be different. For example Inventor 2022 introduces Model States (replacing LODs). The migration in drawing and assembly is indeed significant undertaking. I personally would migrate the drawing and assembly files to 2022 or later just to ensure the Model States behaviors are expected.

You may migrate files from release X to release Y. There isn't any limitation. The older the source file is, the longer the migration path will be (and the bigger the capacity footprint).

Regarding problems in migration, there isn't any general issue that I am aware. But we do have file specific migration failures.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report