Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weldments

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Nigel.Sims
544 Views, 4 Replies

Weldments

Hi,

I am currently working on a weldment which will be fabricated on a jig. The weldment assembly has all of the prep and machining features added to it so it now appears as it's finished state. However, I have inserted this weldment into another assembly containing the jig assembly but the weldment assembly needs to show only it's prep features and not the machining features. The weldment will be welded on the jig and then machined seperately. Is there a way to control the appearance of the weldment features in a parent assembly? I have Level of Detail and suppressing the machining features but this seems independent of representations. 

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Nigel Sims

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jtylerbc
in reply to: Nigel.Sims

No, I don't think that's possible.  You can reference the various Weldment states in drawing views, but not in a higher-level assembly.  You are correct that LOD or other Representations have no effect here.

Can you go the opposite direction and insert the jig into the Weldment, possibly as Reference?  This seems like exactly the sort of thing that Reference parts/assemblies are intended for.

Message 3 of 5
karthur1

It sounds like you are wanting to show the weldment in your jig in the state prior to machining.  It would be good if we could control what state the weldment is shown in, but at the moment we can't do that.  Maybe present this to the Idea station.  that sounds like a great idea.

In the meantime, about all that Inventor can offer is to do a "derived" part and derive your weldment into the part.  Then, use "move face" to add back the material that was removed by the machining.  You can use "Delete face" to fill in any holes that was placed in the weldment.

Hope this helps.

Kirk

Message 4 of 5
Nigel.Sims
in reply to: karthur1

Thank you both for replying.

Not long after I posted I thought of the derived part method. I did it slightly different to your method @karthur1. In the weldment assembly I suppressed the machining features and the made the derived part and suppressed the link. I then went back into the weldment assembly and unsuppressed the machining features. It has got me what I need so far. It would be a bit of work to repeat the suppress/unsuppress process If the original weldment has any modifications. 

@jtylerbc your method would be a good alternative but unfortunately the jig needs to interface with pre-machined faces which is still not possible by inserting the jig into the assembly unfortunately. 

Thank you both for your help. 

Message 5 of 5
karthur1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report