Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visible Cells From Inserted Excel Sheet

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1314 Views, 9 Replies

Visible Cells From Inserted Excel Sheet

Hi all,

I've inserted an excel sheet from to my .idw file using the "create from file" option from the "insert object" button.

Though the spreadsheet is showing the information I've entered it is also showing a bunch of blank cells. 

Is there a way to choose which cells are visible in the .idw file? i.e. hide the blank cells?

Please see attached screen shot. 

Thank you in advance!

excel.JPG

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! Could you try something real quick for me? If you do the same workflow in Microsoft Word (Insert -> Objects -> pick the same Excel file), do you see the same behavior?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 10
jhackney1972

The cause of your issue is the cells that contain no data are showing up because they still have formatting applied.  If you delete these cells, only the ones containing data will be the only one imported.  Take a look at the screencast where I did this to prove my point.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

That worked!

Thank you very much jhackney1972.

On a side note may I ask what software you used to record the video? It would be very helpful to be able to use a video to explain future questions / issues / topics. 

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 10
jhackney1972

It is the standard Autodesk Screencast application.  I do not know what Inventor version you are using but it is installed by default with Inventor 2019, unless you skip it.  If you need to download it, you can find it here, it is free.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you very much!

Message 7 of 10

Dear @jhackney1972, I'm facing the same problem in Inventor 2022 and deleting the cells apparently doesn't solve the issue. Also, the screencast you've made was deleted.

Can you help me?

Message 8 of 10

Hi Andrea,

I suspect you may need to change the scope of the spreadsheet page. Open the Excel file and go to Page Setup. Make sure the only needed cells are included.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 10
arron.craig

Have run into this same issue in Inventor 2023, clearing all contents from the "extra" cells hasn't solved it and I'm not 100% sure what @johnsonshiue is describing in the page set-up. Example table attached since the real table can't be shared.

arroncraig_0-1659910705818.png

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: arron.craig

Hi Arron,

I am on 2023.1 update. I cannot seem to reproduce the behavior (see attached drawing).

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report