Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable pitch helix along the curve

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
kirillyrogov
1315 Views, 10 Replies

Variable pitch helix along the curve

Hello,

Please is there any way to make 3d sketch helix with variable pitch along the path (bend pipe)? Or maybe another way to make coil with variable pitch along the path.
Thank you in advance for your help!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: kirillyrogov

You would want to use the Sweep function to do this.  You need two sketches, one will be the cross-section, the next will be the path (pitch).  Make sure the cross-section and path are lined up how you want them, usually a good idea to have the path intersect the cross-section at the center.

Message 3 of 11
blandb
in reply to: Anonymous

I believe the user is stuck on how to create the variable pitched swept path for the sweep.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 11
0x3FA5

It's pretty easy:

In a part, select a sketch that contains a circle. Click Insert > Curve > Helix/Spiral. In the PropertyManager, under Defined By, select Height and Revolution. Under Parameters, select Variable pitch. Enter values for H and Rev in the table.

Helix_variable_Height_and_Revolution

Message 5 of 11
kirillyrogov
in reply to: 0x3FA5

Ok, I can make coil with variable pitch (straight pipe in the img). I can make coil along the curve, but with constant pitch (pipe bend in the img). And now i want it all together.

Message 6 of 11
blandb
in reply to: 0x3FA5

Are you referring to solidworks? You screen shot appears to be SW.

Message 7 of 11
0x3FA5
in reply to: blandb

Yes, it is SW 2011

Message 8 of 11
blandb

Are you doing it as a multi-body solid? If each coil is a different solid, have you tried combining them into just (1) solid? Can you share your files?

Message 9 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! This can be done in Inventor pretty easily. It is a two-step process.

1) Create a straight tube.

2) Create the variable-pitch variable-radius helix (3D Sketch -> Helical Curve -> VPVR). Make sure the helix wrap around the tube.

3) Split -> select the helical curve as a tool to split the tube.

4) Use Bend Part command (it needs a straight line penetrating the tube) to bend the tube. The helical edges will be bent too.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 11
blandb
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I was going to suggest that, but I thought from the first picture that it may have been a tube and pipe run? But the concept could still be applied to a multi-body part to create what is being wrapped around the tube?

Just a thought.

Message 11 of 11
kirillyrogov
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Yeah! It works. Thanks a lot! Great support and community!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report