Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using sketches in assembly to constrain parts

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
swaroop.arunachalam
375 Views, 4 Replies

Using sketches in assembly to constrain parts

I had been working in Solidworks for 10 years and i'm literally looking for some similar options in Inventor since im new to this tool. Please let me know if Inventor has the option of constraining components using a sketch made out in assembly.... Purpose - I dont want to search the distance mates and edit them often or do calculations for mating things... Rather i will change the dimensions in layout sketch of the assembly and the coincidence mates (e.g. Component planes with assembly sketch) should do the work for me. 

Below is the duplicate, still want to know if there has been any enhancements in latest versions

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/can-t-i-constrain-a-part-to-an-assembly-sketch/m-p/768...

Thanks!!!

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Can you Attach your SolidWorks example?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5

Hi! This is another most frequently asked question from SWX users. Inventor's assembly sketch is for creating machining features' purpose. It is not for constraining. You will need to create the sketch in one part. Then other components can constrain or reference to.

It sounds like you would like to constrain and interact with component geometry within the assembly in a more flexible manner. Maybe you should look into Fusion 360, which supports such workflows.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5

@swaroop.arunachalam if I have something that is challenging to constrain I will create a part with geometry that will help and set it's BOM status to phantom. You can use any part sketches and work geometry to constrain components.

Use iLogic Copy? Please consider voting for this long overdue idea (not mine):https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/string-replace-for-ilogic-design-copy/idi-p/3821399
Message 5 of 5

Why don't you go to your parameters pallet (fx at the top of the screen) and click on the d values to rename your constraints. Then they are easy to refer to later by just typing in the name or clicking the menu next to the value box in your constraint and choosing show parameters. 

You can also name the constraint value when you create it by typing the name and equals. 

offset = 30

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report